First Elk Hunt coming up, what gun?

Gunner75

Going on my first elk hunt in Wyoming at the end of October. Got lucky and drew a special bull permit. (first time I have applied).

This is the kicker, I'm just not into big guns, well, except for a TRG42 that I fell in love with last year. I have loaded 250gr SMK and 225gr Accubonds. The Accubonds run a mild 2840fps.

The TRG is a bit big and bulky, would like a downsized rig. (Even though I don't think the weight is a problem) This is my other options.

Rem SPS 300WSM
Rem 700P 300WM
Both above guns are stocked, bedded, ready for a scope set on it and dialed in. Both have been shot with VXII 3x9's and produced darn good groups out of the box using Rem Core locks and or Win Grey Box.

What would you guys run on the first hunt?
Just having a hard time deciding what to run.

I won't handload for the two Rem models this year, but will expire some ammo getting either one tuned in and familiar with whatever I go with.

Too many choices!

I am intrigued with the 300 WSM :rolleyes: and I would love to have one. My 300 win mag shoots very well and both will do the job on any elk alive. Carry the one you feel most confident shooting, but take both just in case you need a back up.

Good luck

IMHO I think you will be just fine with either 300wsm. Sounds like you are pretty comfortable with them and that is half the battle. Have fun! Elk hunting is a great trip!

Bring the one that shoots the best and you feel most comfortable with. Also bring a spare for the"unexpected". Any one of them will kill an elk.

I agree with Cinch, The key is how well you can handle the guns. If I was you I would check out the area that you are going to hunt in and get an idea of the kind of shots you will take. Based off that I would go to the range and attempt a number of shots with both guns at different yardage/angles/rests and determine which gun you shot better and pick that one.

I hunt elk every year and carry a 15.0 lb gun where ever I go. Physical fitness may be what makes the decision for you. Thats my 2 cents.

GOOD LUCK, once you go elk hunting, you will never be the same........ that is one thing we can all agree on!:D

I have a similiar question. I am moving out west (Bozman, MT area) in a couple of years and want to get a good elk rifle in the works. I am looking for something under 10 lbs. Wildcat / standard does not matter much to me, just looking for suggestions. My smith suggested a 308 Baer (Randy Melvin / Bull Mountain Rifle Company). All suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know why but a 7 stw built on a BAT action has been sticking with me lately:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.