First Elk Hunt

Summa724

I have hunted Montana for the last few years for mule deer.
This year I purchased a elk tag and am headed to the little belts in two weeks. Basically looking for any last minute pointers .

Be quiet (a given but even more important with elk) and be where you want to be glassing for them before the sun comes up.

Watch out for bears...and keep your camp quiet too. Elk will put a ridge between them and any disturbance. Keep shooting until you know he is down! Oh yeah...have a wonderful time!

Thanks . Can't wait. I found a couple spots i hope work out for me. From Google earth and onxmaps there is not tons of open areas. After mule deer hunting i figured out real quick to glass then make a game plan and stock.

In my younger years I use to trump through the woods trying to find critters. Elk and other critters can hear you no matter how quiet you are.

As I got older and lazier, I set and glass. I see a lot more critters and have much better success.

elk%202016.JPG

In my younger years I use to trump through the woods trying to find critters. Elk and other critters can hear you no matter how quiet you are.

As I got older and lazier, I set and glass. I see a lot more critters and have much better success.

elk%202016.JPG
Awesome ! I am a sit and glass guy. My cousin hunts deer like he is rabbit hunting. Drives me crazy. I get more relaxed shots and make better decisions on spot and stock then running around bumping animals.

Watch out for bears...and keep your camp quiet too. Elk will put a ridge between them and any disturbance. Keep shooting until you know he is down! Oh yeah...have a wonderful time!

A lot of people think that and a lot of people go right past elk getting to were they think the elk are. There was a small herd of elk about 500 yards from a camp that could be seen every morning at dawn but no one went after them. Have also seen elk pop out on ridges right at dusk that have been hunted for 5 days straight.

They know when they are safe. I've seen elk let people pass within 100 yards of them. Circle around people and go back to the spot they were laying. Or hold in trees while they watch someone on trees ride past then cross behind them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.