Which factory ammo for elk??

Dalebow

Just got word my cooper 300 win mag is ready. 24 inch stainless fluted barrel, cerakote, brake, tally based and rings. It's a busy time for me right now so for this year's second season hunt I've narrowed it down to 3 and want your help in choosing based off your experiences.
I've thrown in theLRX AND ABLR but not sure they will fit my factory magazine and chamber.

Thanks in advance.

Barnes VORTEX 180 TTSX OR 190 LRX
Hornady 180 HR GMX
Nosler 180 ab or 190 ABLR

If long range is in the plan, I would try the new Hornady 200 Gr. ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo. Hornady has a new ballistic calculator based on the doppler radar data gathered from the ELD-X bullet. It might work really well. All SAAMI factory ammo should fit in the rifle.

I will have to check it out, typically shots will be 400-450 at most but the BC & SD look impressive with it.

I've had good luck with Barnes on elk and bear in 300 wsm, but used Hornady for mule deer and 2 Canadian bears. My Blaser R8 loved the Hornady and my MG arms loved the vortex, never had a copper before, really leaning towards the 190 lrx or 200 eld

I guess I need to look at this applied ballistics, had not heDd of them before

Never shot AB ammo is has only been around for about a year or so. It should be good considering who developed it. BUT, the AB ammo for the 300 Win Mag is not made to SAAMI specs and may well not fit in a factory rifle mag. AB states this in the info for the round.

Well looks like ABM 215gr Bergers are out of stock, looks like Barnes or Hornady

If you want to kill elk and you aren't shooting extreme LR the vor-tx ammo is tops. 500-700 ish is no problem. Lot of guys on here get hung up on the numbers and think they need "x" number of bc but they fail to see that the real word killing ability is. Especially on elk.

The ABM ammo is excellent from a factory Rem 700 with the 215, like Mike said don't get hung up on numbers, on game performance is what counts and now you can get some of the best in a factory load, especially on elk!!

Great advice, it is a hunting weight rifle, not shootin past 400-450 so Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX would be great!

I used the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo in my 300 RUM when I first got it to pile up some brass. The 180gr AB would be fine at those distances as well as closer if the opportunity arose. The Nosler ammo I have used is generally slower than advertised, but so far has been some of the most accurate factory ammo I have used.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.