270 for Elk which ammo

lester7009

Asking for your help. I have got drawn for a Cow Elk tag. I am shooting a 270 Win which have been using for years. My gun loves Hornady 130gr SST. I know I will not be using a this. Which bullet would work with confidence no further than 300yds. I would appreciate your wisdom with experience. Thank You

Hornady 130 sst. I have used 130 270 bullets to kill multiple elk. I have used sst in the 6.5mm for elk with good results

I would recommend the heaviest grain bulletin you can find shooting premium ammo that shoots best out of your rifle.

My experience with 270 and 140 grain ammo has not been so positive.

Whichever Nosler Partition (either 130 or 150 grain) that shoots best out of your Rifle.
I used the 150 Partition (Federal) in my Ruger 77 .270 for several years for Elk until I bought the .340 Weatherby.

Last edited:
Whichever Nosler Partition (either 130 or 150 grain) that shoots best out of your Rifle.
I used the 150 Partition (Federal) in my Ruger 77 .270 for several years for Elk until I bought the .340 Weatherby.

I won't argue with this either. My dad uses the 150 partition in his 270 and has killed many elk and a moose with that load. I am just a Hornady supporter. They shoot so good for me.

This was going to be my recommendation as well.

sounds like 150gr Partitions number 1 for 270 elk bullit there are so many choices
and shot placement is number 1. I think bullet manufactures make to many choices
for hunters but there are some better than others

Since your rifle likes the 130, I'd try the 130 Partition first, then the 150 Partition. Of course, I have a friend out here in Utah that has been using the Federal 150 Fusions for years on both muleys and elk. He has taken some big bulls with that load too! I tease him about his .270 ( I have a beautiful old Belgium BAR 270 I like, just never hunted elk with it) but I know when I hear him shoot I may as well get ready to help haul some elk meat, ha. have a ball dude!

I use Hornady 150 gr. IB (interbond). They are more pricy then the 150 SST, but hold together much better.

They have the same BC as the 150 SST's so the SSTs can be used for practice.

Shot this lady that ranged 367 yards, she just rolled down the hill into the creek.

Cow%20Elk.JPG

It seems people either like sst for elk or you hate them. I worry they would fragment on anew elk shoulder. I prefer 130 grain ttsx barnes in my 270. After 300 yards I hold just behind the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts