Tikka .308 Factory Elk ammo needed

My Elk wasn't impressed with 168gr TTSX, and I'm not impressed either. My Tikka however loves the TTSX, that's why I used them, but I won't use them again.
200-400 yards max, I need a bullet that works. I've seen too many complaints about Barnes TTSX not preforming, and now I am on the list.

Does anyone have a Tikka .308, and knows what factory ammo the gun likes ?
Try some Bonded 165 gr. factory ammunition on elk in your 308 tikka. Federal has AccuBond and Scirocco II. Swift has A-frame. If u can get them. Every one has a opinion from Match bullets to copper bullets for elk (same as I do) don't buy in ever ones antidotes on this form.

I am curious did you actually weigh each bullet and if so what did they weigh? or are you assuming 100% weight retention?
By the way, the bullet on the right looks like it is bent or is that just the way the picture was taken.

Last edited:
I am curious did you actually weigh each bullet and if so what did they weigh? or are you assuming 100% weight retention?
By the way, the bullet on the right looks like it is bent or is that just the way the picture was taken.

It is a tad bent from the impact. Obviously it didn't fly 185 yards like that. Maybe it deflected off a rib.

My tikka loves the 165 nosler AB but I would take the 180 partition (both federal loaded). The 165s are accurate as needed, the 180s I would trust for the purpose but my groups open up to 1.5ish. (more like 2 but I rarely do MY job) and frankly if I'm 10/10 on a 4in target at 200 and 9/10 on 6in target at 300.

I zero at 220 I'm +/- <3.5in out to 250 @1600lbft

After a lot of conversations starting with 'if it was a 300' I found no one I know has seen a elk past 400 and not a shot past 300 in up to 50yr experience. Granted im in well wooded British Columbia. And I wouldn't be pushing the energy envelope past that anyway.

My Elk wasn't impressed with 168gr TTSX, and I'm not impressed either. My Tikka however loves the TTSX, that's why I used them, but I won't use them again.
200-400 yards max, I need a bullet that works. I've seen too many complaints about Barnes TTSX not preforming, and now I am on the list.

Does anyone have a Tikka .308, and knows what factory ammo the gun likes ?
My buddy had decades of good service using a 165 gr Partition in his 308 Win on elk. HIs range limition was 300 yards. with his handloads. I think you'll have to just try different factory ammo to find one that suits your rifle.

It is a tad bent from the impact. Obviously it didn't fly 185 yards like that. Maybe it deflected off a rib.
Any brush in thw way? A bent bullet like that is often cause by the bullet not hitting the target point first but at an angle so the the side of the bullet up at the nose impacts first causing it to be bent and less than optimal expansion.

Just some rough numbers but...

21" Tikka 308 launching Barnes Vortex 168 TTSX is about 2600 fps.
Impact velocity roughly 2200 fps.

I believe you may be near the minimum velocity needed for expansion.

The 130's or 150's may be a better choice for 308 velocities.

The minimum expansion velocity for the 168 grain TTSX is 1500 fps. Each TSX/TTSX by weight and caliber has a specified min expansion velocity. Call Barnes and they will tell you what it is.

It would be nice to know the exact retained weights and to see a nose on end pic.

Last edited:
The minimum expansion velocity for the 168 grain TTSX is 1500 fps. Each TSX/TTSX by weight and caliber has a specified min expansion velocity. Call Barnes and they will tell you what it is.

It would be nice to know the exact retained weights and to see a nose on end pic.

Yea, I know that's what Barnes says, but when I talked to them on the phone... their definition of "expansion" was different than the picture perfect peeled back pedals we see pics of.

Don't get me wrong... I load and hunt with TTSX and LRX. I just adjusted my expected range and impact velocity to get the bullet performance I want... which is why I suggested dropping down in bullet weight.

Yea, I know that's what Barnes says, but when I talked to them on the phone... their definition of "expansion" was different than the picture perfect peeled back pedals we see pics of.

Don't get me wrong... I load and hunt with TTSX and LRX. I just adjusted my expected range and impact velocity to get the bullet performance I want... which is why I suggested dropping down in bullet weight.
What was their definition of expansion?

It's been a while. Before the release of the LRX, but something along the lines of the start of deformation along the skivvy (spelling??) lines. They weren't trying to hide anything. Said the amount of expansion was dependent upon impact velocity and medium hit. Obviously hitting bone will have a different effect than an all tissue shot.

Have you heard about these Remington core lokts? Pretty effective bullet from 200-400 yards.
For your range I'd take any cup and core bullet that shot less than 1.5 moa. If you can consistently hit a 6" target at 400 yards no elk is safe.
Partitions, accubond, eldx/m/amax, ballistic tips, sst, federal terminal ascent, sierra gameking, tipped gameking, tipped matchking, bergers, lapua scenars Et el.

With the 308, the world is your oyster.
Not laughing to make fun…but it is funny. I had the same thought but with the Winchester super x. At 308 speeds the 180 power point is awesome at conventional distance. Bc of a brick, not bonded or anything, and the massive stack of animals that it takes every year wouldn't be more dead with anything else.

Dead elk, so I'm not sure where the complaint lies.
Those recovered bullets don't appear unusual depending on how/where it was hit. The 308 is not the fastest cartridge in the world to push a 168; perhaps you need a larger cartridge or a lighter bullet for more speed and more deformation upon impact.

I've used the TTSX and Hammer in elk, deer and antelope with great results every time.