Elk Rifle Input Needed

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Weatherby Vanguard Meateaters 300 weatherby, Talley scope rings, Leupold HD VX3 4.5x14x40 is what I shoot. ammo Finding ammo can be a chore.

Christensen Arms Mesa in 308 if you are recoil shy. 300 Win Mag if you can handle a bit more recoil (they do have a brake) Tikka T3 Lite 7mm Rem Mag is less expensive and surprisingly easy to shoot. Bergara B14 Hunter in 30-06 would do well for you too.

Maybe just a bit off topic, but I wonder how many of us elk hunters take to the hills with a rifle that weighs under 9 pounds . Scoped, loaded, with sling, et al.
My last one in 300RUM loaded weighs 9lb 4oz with a heavy as hell HS precision stock, and I could shave a 1lb easy with new stock. My new one in 28N Savage UL weighs 8lb 2oz with the factory stock of 1lb 11oz. I could shave it down 6oz with a new stock.

You may want to look at a Christensen Arms Mesa in 300 Win Mag. Good availability since you don't reload and a nice light gun.

my 338NM 8 3/4 ready to roll.Bad medicine for elk when that 300 grainer hits em like a trainer

Trapper, finding a quality rifle in the cartridge you decide on will be the easy part. Quality factory ammo could be difficult to find. Millions of firearms being sold lately with purchasers discovering ammo not available.
In that case, I'd suggest "Custom Reloads of Dallas". Match grade 300WM runs about $3 a round. He had plenty available, last I checked.

My uncle lives back east and has come out west to hunt with me for the past few years. My suggestion to him was bring your deer rifle that you already shoot and know well.
If your 270Win is heavy with a laminate wood stock then I would suggest buying a light weight Bell & Carlson stock.
My uncle was shooting a Browning Xbolt with a fancy wood stock and he put a light weight B&C stock on it and now it shoots a bit better he said and it is certainly lighter to pack at 10K-11K elevation.

If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle then I say go for it. There are so many choices out there in Caliber and manufacturers now that make it hard.

My biggest piece of advice I can give is to not go buy a caliber that is hard to get and cost prohibitive. If you're not reloading or considering to start reloading then I would stay away from any of the non common cartridges that are established and been around more than say a decade.

If you look up the price of ammo now 300 PRC is $135 to 160 a box of 20 when I looked on ammo seek.
300WM is less than half that and 270Win is even cheaper.