375 caliber long range hunting bullets, 325 gr, 375 gr and 435 gr

I would like to hear more about this, any updates?
Also like to hear what velocity anyone is getting with the 435 grain projectiles from any Cheytac Improved chambering.
7EF90908-73ED-40CF-A439-79069C65825A.jpeg

My similar, yet different 435gr Bullet went 2950 ish fps in my buddy's SnipeTac.

That's a 377 MTAC in the other case.

Attachments

• 7717ABCA-A52B-4F11-AABA-F37CDCEC193A.jpeg
    7717ABCA-A52B-4F11-AABA-F37CDCEC193A.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 1,576
We finally got Roy's 375 Allen Mag in our hands after FedEx sent it around the country. We will be working on 400g class bullets with it. Turns out that there is horse power problems with the big bullets under the huge torque of the big case capacity cartridges. The extra horse power of these big cases causes the bullets to spin out and not stabilize properly. For us our testing was done with a 375-338 Lap imp and had no such issue. Our longest baring surface 395g Hammer Hunter does not have an issue. But the others that we shortened the baring surface do have issue. From what I understand from converstations with customers this is a problem for other limited baring surface bullets as well. We will be figuring out exactly what ratio of baring surface and baring surface design is needed with respect to making sure that the bullets stay firmly engaged in the rifling and keep full stability.

So much tourque with these big cartridges that just is not there with others cartridges.

Steve

View attachment 84757

My similar, yet different 435gr Bullet went 2950 ish fps in my buddy's SnipeTac.

That's a 377 MTAC in the other case.

Would you mind disclosing what BC you used for those 435 grain bullets you are making? The BC should be similar to Chinchagas.
Also, would you entertain the idea of having a visitor come observe you making these?

We finally got Roy's 375 Allen Mag in our hands after FedEx sent it around the country. We will be working on 400g class bullets with it. Turns out that there is horse power problems with the big bullets under the huge torque of the big case capacity cartridges. The extra horse power of these big cases causes the bullets to spin out and not stabilize properly. For us our testing was done with a 375-338 Lap imp and had no such issue. Our longest baring surface 395g Hammer Hunter does not have an issue. But the others that we shortened the baring surface do have issue. From what I understand from converstations with customers this is a problem for other limited baring surface bullets as well. We will be figuring out exactly what ratio of baring surface and baring surface design is needed with respect to making sure that the bullets stay firmly engaged in the rifling and keep full stability.

So much tourque with these big cartridges that just is not there with others cartridges.

Steve

Steve,
I too noticed that the 370 grainers I received had the accuracy drop off at extended range. They shot GREAT at 100 however.

Edit: When I wrote that the accuracy dropped off it might sound bad, as in went to crap. What I meant was it wasn't what I expected (larger groups) compared to another bullet at longer ranges. Both had great groups up close, but the 370's didn't hold that all the way out like the "other" bullets did. The 370's did hold moa or better.
They were good, just not great.

Last edited:
Steve,
I too noticed that the 370 grainers I received had the accuracy drop off at extended range. They shot GREAT at 100 however.

Edit: When I wrote that the accuracy dropped off it might sound bad, as in went to crap. What I meant was it wasn't what I expected (larger groups) compared to another bullet at longer ranges. Both had great groups up close, but the 370's didn't hold that all the way out like the "other" bullets did. The 370's did hold moa or better.
They were good, just not great.
Getting caught up from hunting season and everything else. Will start working on these soon. Once ironed out we will send new bullets to the customers that have had the issue.

Steve

2850 with the 370g Hammer Hunter. May have a barrel here to build on. Have another guy looking at doing a snipetac with the action in this thread, but he wants a heavier barrel.

Steve

I'm getting my savage .338 Lapua improved chambered this week. It's only a 24" barrel 110 ba so I'm really looking forward to running the sledge hammers out of it. Think it will be quite the hammer on large game.

The Sledge Hammers have proven outstanding this year on game for normal range hunting. I am having a rifle put together for Africa in the 375-338 Lap imp with 24" barrel to run the Sledge Hammers.

Steve

Would you mind disclosing what BC you used for those 435 grain bullets you are making? The BC should be similar to Chinchagas.
Also, would you entertain the idea of having a visitor come observe you making these?

I won't claims on BC of anything I produce. I will, however, give you all the information you would need to plug the numbers into JBM and determine what it thinks.

The boat tail specs of mine are standard Corbin
http://www.corbins.com/specs.htm#rbt

Using Corbin's diagram and specs
A: 0.375"
B: 0.345"
D: 0.279"
L: 0.234"

Caliber: 0.375"
Meplat diameter: its as sharp as a thumb tack. I used zero, but it has to be something
Ogive type: I used Secant for the software, because hybrid isn't an option
Base diameter: 0.744 calibers
Rotating band diameter: 1.000 calibers
Bullet weight: 435gr
Nose length: 2.903 calibers
Ogive radius: 14.000
Boat tail length: 0.620 calibers
Total length: 5.680 calibers
Specific Gravity: (it defaults to 10.70, but I have no idea if it is correct)

I don't have any Chinchaga's in front of me, but just eyeballing it, their boat tail is significantly longer. With the same lack of precision, it appears the nose is very similar to mine. I would guess the only difference is they have a longer boat tail with with proportionally shorter bearing surface. This is only a guess based on pictures posted online.

As for watching me make some bullets, I'd be happy to. I recently moved to NW Missouri and am not set up to swage yet, but I'll let you know when I get settled in. I'm just a hobby swage guy that hasnt been into it very long, but i'm happy to share what little I know.

That said, I can PM you some online links that guided me, if interested.

Attachments

• corbin rbt.jpg
    corbin rbt.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 199
wkinderknecht,
Thanks for the info. Making my own bullets for my Snipetac would be icing on the cake! I will take any advice/help you are obligated to send my way.
If your bullets are made with the same jackets and such as Chinchaga, then they will be devastating on big game.
Do you know the barrel length and load data your buddy is using?

wkinderknecht,
Thanks for the info. Making my own bullets for my Snipetac would be icing on the cake! I will take any advice/help you are obligated to send my way.
If your bullets are made with the same jackets and such as Chinchaga, then they will be devastating on big game.
Do you know the barrel length and load data your buddy is using?

Mine are a 408 Cheytac jacket drawn down. Initial informal testing looks promising for expanding. Most will tell you the meplat diameter is what determines expansion in a supersonic Bullet. The functional meplat of the jacket is big with the steel tip.

The load was around 140gr of H50BMG in a 32" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.