358 Wildcats

It's an older thread, but I've been thinking of revisiting the .358's lately also.

New bullets, and bullet companies available to get the most out of the intense .358's make it interesting again.

You also might consider the 358 Norma Mag. Nice cartridge with a longer neck than the 358/300 Win Mag and brass is still available.

Take the new 338 norma mag, neck it up, and blow out the taper and use a 33° shoulder, call it a 350 norma mag imp. Should have about 112gr case capacity operate in 3.85" oal and under AND have lapua brass!

I've got a .358 Hawk. Another version of an Improved 35 Whelen.

Recently started reading about the .358 WSSM ever since I missed out on buying one. Sounds like a cool round. Would be a nice AR build.

Not a wildcat, but a custom build, got a .358 Win in the Ruger GunSight Scout. Does the job on hogs.

Just purchased a .358 Norma Mag. in a mauser action. What kind of improvement does it beg for? Yeah, I've got a thing for the 35s.

I've got a .358 Hawk. Another version of an Improved 35 Whelen.

Recently started reading about the .358 WSSM ever since I missed out on buying one. Sounds like a cool round. Would be a nice AR build.

Not a wildcat, but a custom build, got a .358 Win in the Ruger GunSight Scout. Does the job on hogs.

Just purchased a .358 Norma Mag. in a mauser action. What kind of improvement does it beg for? Yeah, I've got a thing for the 35s.
358/308 norma, and the new 300/338 norma mags, are different parent cases. The 358/308 are off the belted h&h case, where as the newer 300/338 are off the Rigby cases.

....What kind of improvement does it beg for? Yeah, I've got a thing for the 35s......

Specific to long range hunting and shooting, fast twist barrels, and the bullets required to optimize performance.

There are plenty of bullets available for use in the cartridges you're running. Stepping up to even the full length magnum version with some .358 bullets one can see a decline in both accuracy, and terminal performance.

Basically, bullets for cases with almost twice the capacity you're running now.

I see this is an older thread but as you say HARPERC maybe its about time.
I have killed deer, bear and hogs with a BLR in 358 Win and you can hear the thump when a 35 cal bullet hits.I have killed deer on pipelines(in the south) with a 35 rem at 200 yards and a good scope and never lost a single deer.
That rifle company that builds bean field rifles(meant to shoot across bean fields)
is HCR,Hill Country Rifles and they set a record of long distance shots with the 35 HCR.
Here is a write up about the cartridge- http://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_st_the35hcr_200906/100067#
An older fellow bought one or had it made used it in Alaska at 350 yards one shot kill on an Alaskan Brown Bear that he said was bigger than his car.
Don't fool yourself they can be made to shoot long distance but it does drop like a rock.
Contact HCR and ask about the 35 HCR and hear it from the horses mouth.
Old Rooster

....I see this is an older thread but as you say HARPERC maybe its about time.....I have killed deer, bear and hogs with a BLR in 358 Win and you can hear the thump when a 35 cal bullet hits.I have killed deer on pipelines(in the south) with a 35 rem at 200 yards and a good scope and never lost a single deer.........Old Rooster

I used a .358 Ackley Improved Magnum the long version. 250 grain bullets at 3000 fps wasn't difficult. In the 1-12" Shilen I had (hoping for heavier to be available) the wheels seemed to fall off accuracy wise. Generally speaking an uncalled flyer every few rounds.

Fire form loads 2500 fps worked great-about 2800 fps the flyers showed up. Partner built a similar rifle with similar issues. Not as reliable as a long range rifle should be.

We did shoot antelope to 600 yards, moose, caribou, always left a bigger impression on impact than .338's, but we never achieved the consistency we've seen in essentially the same rifles in .338 's.

With the availability of todays turned mono's in the 300 grain range it could be interesting to back track a bit.

I have thought about necking down the .375 cheytac imp to .358 to take advantage of the CE bullet for ELR shooting. But stopped do to building a gun form one bullet might not be wise. Wish there was more .358 high BC offerings.

I went to the Woodleigh Bullets website and see they make 358 bullets to 310 gr.
I'm not sure what twist it would take to make those fly straight and long range but it must be able to as Hill Country Rifles has built those rifles in the past and all the writers said great things about the rifles.
I saw an elk shot with 300WSM necked up to 358 and there was an impressive hole and story on the one shot kill but it wasn't very long,under 200 yards.
I wonder if Hill Country Rifles would divulge their recipe for a long range 358 rifle?
This is getting more interesting as we go on.
HARPERC did your rifle get good groups with 200 gr bullets?
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.