3500 fps

silvertip-co

Saw on tv this morn that Federal has a new thing they call Tip Triple something. It's available in 300 Win Mag @ 3500 fps factory. So much for striving to break 3350 with custom stuff.

Any more info? Bullet weight? BC? Bullet performance?

I checked the site and they are talking about the 110 gr 270 TSX and 130 gr 300 TSX. Good bullets, but not great BC and will likely loose petals at impact speeds in excess of 3200 fps.

Last edited:
I read somwhere that Weatherby experimented with a 30x378 to see what
velocity they could get.

They exceeded 6,000 ft/sec using a 70 gr bullet but barrel life suffered greatly.

These light weight bullets will probably sell like hot cakes untill people learn
how poorly they will perform on game that the 270 and 300Win Mag was
built for.

They might be ok for short range (100 to 200yrds) and varments but who wants
to shoot a 300winny at varments.

Sales not logic drives this thinking.

J E CUSTOM

They might be ok for short range (100 to 200yrds) and varments but who wants
to shoot a 300winny at varments.

Sales not logic drives this thinking.

J E CUSTOM

A 300win shooting a Barnes 130gr TTSX is only good for varmints?

There isn't an animal on this continent that those bullets wouldn't work on.

A 300win shooting a Barnes 130gr TTSX is only good for varmints?

There isn't an animal on this continent that those bullets wouldn't work on.

Charles

I would have to disagree !! There are a lot of animals that "ANY" 130gr bullet would be
to light for no mater how fast it was.

Yes , it would probably kill them "eventually" but would not stop them in there tracks.

I have tried ultra high velocity ,light weight bullets and came away swearing never to
go there again based on the end results.

I tested the 140gr .284 bullets to almost 3900ft/sec in a loooong barreled 7 STW,
accuracy started to go away after 3650ft/sec "but it was flat."This included all of
barnes offerings in this weight and I found the barnes had a very narrow expansion
window.

Most bullets start at 1800ft/sec and go to 2800 for optimum performance .

Also the ballistic coefficient for this bullet is .340 (Per Barnes) and the case mouth
falls in front of the Ogive/Shank junction when loaded to SAAME COAL of 3.340.

So thats why I dont like Federals loading, But in america we can still think and voice
our opinion and that's what I was doing .

No offence, and none taken
J E CUSTOM

Am curious as to the animals in North America that a 130gr all copper bullet, that retains 100% of it's weight is to light for? One would have a tough time keeping a 130gr X in anything, from any angle, and putting one through bone isn't tough. While the original Barnes X and maybe to some extent the TSX, may have had problems with expansion, the TTSX will not.

Per Barnes the BC for the 308 130gr TTSX is .350, however actual firing says it' more like .420. At 3500fps it drops below 1,800fps past 800 yards (the expansion threshold is around 1,600fps for the TTSX's). It takes less then 22 minutes to get to 1,000 and has less then 8MOA wind drift at that range given a 90* 10mph wind.

One can shoot whatever they want, and I realize it's taboo to go against the 9-something million BC thing here, but that load will work, and it will do somethings better then a higher BC/slower MV will....

i've had supreme sucess with Barnes, and i think they are super tough...handle extreme velocity impacts as good as anything else...they excel where a fella is using his xxx magnum to shoot xxxx animal up close, but all bullets have an operating range they are designed for. i would be willing to wager that those petals will blow off at some value not too far north of 3300ish. then its a pencil, best case is if it tumbles. Smells like gear worship to me... probably works, there are lots of ways to skin a cat... but there is a reason it hasn't caught on like wild fire.

I don't know what form the barnes takes when the petals come off, but if it becomes a square front and not a round front, then it is basically a dangerous game bullet that causes severe damage. Tumbling would be a bad thing, it would tumble if it doesn't have enough spin. It's very tough to over spin a solid. The wound channel on a square front bullet is better than any double caliber round mushroom.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

I wouldn't wouldn't shoot a Mature bull elk with a 130 grain bullet. I seen 3 220 grain bullets go into a very large bull and it ran 400 yards. After skinning and boning out we noticed one bullet went straight through the heart, one broke the back and one punched through the shoulder. The bigger the better.

I agree, as a rule bigger is better. Tough to go wrong by going heavier, as far as making an animal dead. There has been countless bull elk taken, cleanly, over the years with a .243 shooting a partition. Comes down to shot placement, distance to the target, and bullet structure.

Did I mention shot placement?

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.