338 WM or 300 WM for moose

300 Driver

What are the opinions out there...

I've booked my first trip to AK for next September. Fly-in hunt. I'll be hunting moose in area 20A. I am not comfortable shooting game over about 800yds at this time.

I am trying to decide if I will carry a 338 Win Mag or a 300 Win Mag. My 338 shoots 225gr Cutting Edge D62s at 2848fps avg. I have an itch to buy a Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon speed in 300WM. I may need it no matter what rifle I take.:rolleyes:

At least one member of my hunting party will be bringing a 300 WM as well. Not sure if having common ammunition is of any actual value. What LR bullet would you guys load in the 300? I have experience with 215 Bergers in my WSM, but I'd hate to see a charging bear with that bullet I think...id hate to be charged by a bear either way.

Any additional advice from experienced AK moose hunter is always appreciated too!

Either one will be effective on moose or griz. I've killed griz with a .280 one shot dead right there. I've also killed them with my .338. Hit either of them good and they will go down.

I use 215 Bergers in my 300
162 Hornady in my .280
225 Hornady in my .338 i think the are 225s would have to look to be sure
168 Berger VLD in my 7STW and 7 mag

Started loading Berger 230 OTM for my 300s and they shoot well but a bit slow at 2,850 FPS

Good luck on the moose hunt 20A north of Fairbanks? I cant remember

20A is southwest. Supposed to be dropped off near Roosevelt Creek.

How do you like the 215 hybrids for Moose? I love them on deer, just not certain if they are tough enough for moose.

I wouldn't be afraid to slug a moose with one.
Not sure where Roosevelt is. Hunted bou and griz off the Denali highway a bit, between Wells Creek and Nenana Glacier, closer to Cantwell than Paxon. I'm guessing you'll be closer to the Paxon side.

Hands down 338 with 225 cutting edge.
800 yds is cool. But as big, no gigantic as moose are they can come out of thin air upclose. I would prefer a very well constructed bullet for up close. Moose are not super hard to kill, but **** are they thick of muscle and bones. That being said, 338wm, 225yds , dead center just behind scapula and a 210 partition finger hole in, golf ball out and 20 yds later dead moose.

Gene

If it were me in bear country or walking and stalking with the 300 WM I would have a 200 accubond in the chamber. Setting up and overlooking is different however in the alders or along the bottoms I'd feel better having a bonded or partition style bullet or even an X bullet. Something that will not blow up on a head or shoulder of a charging bruin really close

I've never killed any moose. I hope to fix that within the next couple years. If I were clairvoyant and knew when my desert big horn sheep number will come up, I could make other plans. But for now, desert big horn is my priority.

The biggest animal I've killed to date was a HUGE bull elk that went better than 900 pounds. One 160 grain Partition through that old boy's heart left him dead on his hooves. That Partition blew a through-and-through tunnel through that AARP bull's chest. From what I understand, elk are supposed to be much more difficult to put into dirt than are moose. I dropped him with a 7MM Rem Mag. I coulda dropped him with a .30-30 Win.

I'd bet that a .303 British with a 180 grain bullet will kill the biggest moose every single time. Here's proof: Boone and Crockett Club | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

Thus, either your .338 Win Mag or your .300 Win Mag will kill any moose. But so will an '06. And so will a .303 British.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.