338 win mag effective range?

grouse

I know this is not traditionally a long range caliber. Wondering what you feel might be the effective range of this caliber on elk? Planning 2021 elk hunt and trying to narrow things down a bit. I have a 300 wsm now, but wanted something that will launch a heavier bullet. I don't want to take any chances with a hunt I might get to do every 5-6 years

For me the effective range is based on 2 things: Minimum expansion velocity for the bullet I'm using, and my ability to shoot a particular gun/cartridge accurately. I like at least 2000 fps as a general rule, so with the 338 WM that will be between 700-800 yards with a good 225-250 grain bullet. And I consider my abilities with a gun to be adequate for long range shots if I can hit a 2" circle reliably at 200 yards. This way I know if the gun is capable and if I can handle the recoil. If I can't find a load that'll hit a 1 moa target reliably at the bench I won't have confidence shooting it at game under field conditions. I also won't shoot at game beyond the distance I've personally tested my gun and ammo so I can confirm drops and scope tracking.

I know this is not traditionally a long range caliber. Wondering what you feel might be the effective range of this caliber on elk? Planning 2021 elk hunt and trying to narrow things down a bit. I have a 300 wsm now, but wanted something that will launch a heavier bullet. I don't want to take any chances with a hunt I might get to do every 5-6 years
Man, lots of hunters shoot a lot less than a 300 wsm at elk in Idaho. I think you are good out to 1000 yards with the right bullet in the 300. If you want an excuse to buy a new gun, by all means do it. But your 300 wsm is a cannon. I would go 33 nosler or 338 Norma or something sexy if I was going to go the 338 route.

Man, lots of hunters shoot a lot less than a 300 wsm at elk in Idaho. I think you are good out to 1000 yards with the right bullet in the 300. If you want an excuse to buy a new gun, by all means do it. But your 300 wsm is a cannon. I would go 33 nosler or 338 Norma or something sexy if I was going to go the 338 route.

have both already. I don't want to mess around

Last edited:
Get a mussel brake, I use figure I could withstand the recoil. The Ruger I shot for groups with about 8 pd trigger pull about did me in. I changed the trigger and finally put a mussel brake on it. now it's a little puppy dog. I like to keep it under 500 yards for range. I have a pet load with a 200 gr. accubond that at 3220 fps, but it won't do what you asking. The BC 414 and it doesn't have the fp or velocity you are asking for at those longer ranges of 700 to 800 yards, from what I can see. I seen a lot of elk go down, felt the 338 did a better job. Bigger wound channel. Elk can seal up their wounds with the hair on them. I know because of having to track out wounded elk that others had shot with lighter calibers. I hate to leave elk behind that are wounded and not by me. I will tack for others if I am there.

SSS
Mike

Last edited:

With proper bullets, easily up to 900yards..... if you follow the fps and ft/lbs energy philosophy. My wife sets her personal limit at 500! memtb

I use a 7mm cooper 168 bergers great accuracy out to 1000 yds

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.