.338 Win Mag for Long Range?

There used to be a guy here, longtime long ranger, that shot his 338 WM further than most will ever shoot game. I believe he shot a moose at 1100yds. Anyways, I load3d up his favored load and I have to say that yes, the 338WM can do just fine at long range but it takes more work. His load/my load is a Cutting Edge D62 MTH 225gr pill going 2975fps. Yes, that velocity is correct. The CE bullets did not pressure out for me until pushed above 3000fps. I worked up from 66 to 72gr of R17 in Win brass. The load hovered just above 1/2 MOA at sea level. My rifle is a simple TC venture all factory but a bedding job. I shot a caribou at 545yds last season. It anchored the big bull with authority. I also felt better in bear country with the 225gr solid copper bullet. I plan on upgrading to a Mod 70 extreme weather soon. I'm betting with a bedding job I can get a consistent 1/2 MOA and have controlled feeding.

Just my $.02

I just bought my first .338 win mag a used model 70 extreme stainless. All the info here is great I have been shooting a model 70. .308. Hope I can manage the recoil of this .338. I really like the looks of this new to me rifle. Although I wish I could have found one in a smaller caliber!

I ran a Tikka 338WM when I lived in Alaska. As stated, it was very good at hitting things very hard and making them dead very quickly. I ran a hornady 250gr interlock over 7828ssc and was getting some very good speeds. I'm pretty sure I was at the limit, but brass life was no concern and it just plain killed. I was running it hard and was still getting 4-5 loads per case even at that level. If you look at straight numbers, a fast 300wm will take it at basically all ranges, but the killing power of that 338 definitely gives it the edge in that dept.

I purpose built a rifle for this:
.338 win mag custom match chamber.
Rem 700 la.
Ptg bolt.
McMillan stock
Accutac hd50 bipod
pacnor 28" barrel 1:10 and kahntrol brake.
Burris xtrii scope
near mfg base 25 moa
Badger USMC rings 34mm
Mags feed 3.6" coal+
73 gr IMR 4350 250 gr smk @2800+ fps
cases formed from sig 300 wm
Weighs 18 lbs
Sub moa & work still in process!

I just bought my first .338 win mag a used model 70 extreme stainless. All the info here is great I have been shooting a model 70. .308. Hope I can manage the recoil of this .338. I really like the looks of this new to me rifle. Although I wish I could have found one in a smaller caliber!

Maybe look to lighter monos. Definitely felt the difference between the 250 Berger and the 175 Hammer.

Best group now @ .062"@100 yds... now on to 1000yds+

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_091024843~2.jpg
    IMG_20220522_091024843~2.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 86
I haven't seen this said so I will toss it out there. I'll preface with this; everyone is correct in their info and heavy hitting killing power from above in reference of the 338wm. However I found the 338wm just can't push the higher BC 338's such as 285-300gr to the speed required for reliable impact velocity on game at long distances. For longrange hunting there are just better options available. Comparing to the 300win of the OP's other option is a much better choice. The 300win has the case capacity to run 215-230gr bullets with the high BC we like for long range at much higher velocity. Remember this is strictly in reference to Long Range hunting.

That being said I'm not getting rid of my 338wm but it wont be my only rifle or top choice for 700yds and above.
James

My 250gr scenar has a bc of .648. I'm getting 2800mv I'm good for targets or game I'd say. I still have more energy at a thousand yards than some 454 casull loads at the muzzle. That may not be ideal but it'll work pretty well

My 250gr scenar has a bc of .648. I'm getting 2800mv I'm good for targets or game I'd say. I still have more energy at a thousand yards than some 454 casull loads at the muzzle. That may not be ideal but it'll work pretty well
Energy is one thing. But are you still above the minimal expansion velocity for the bullet design?