300 win mag effective range

Get Burris signature or xtr signature rings.

I like these rings, have a pair on a rifle I shoot mainly subsonic-suppressed. With a 20 moa rail I can get to dang near the range you speak of dialing turrets, if so desired. With these rings the possibilities are endless...well, great in number at least.

A 22 long rifle will shoot over 1 mile, that don't make them effective at that range. The 30-06 at one time was the most accurate 1000 yard rifle at Camp Perry, but their effective range is about half that distance. As I said before I have recovered a Sierra hollow point bullet ( 30-06 ) from a deer shot at 557 yards. it never even began to open up, if not for the rifling marks on the bullet, you would have had a hard time telling it was ever shot from a rifle. Also your small caliber rifle bullets would be pushed all over if there is any wind at all. It also depends on what you call effective, just putting a hole in a paper target or actually killing something. Good luck hunting and be safe.

I almost always put a 20 moa rail on at least, this puts your adjustment range through the middle of your available adjustment vs going from the middle to the top all the time.
While the Burris rings with the inserts are a good tool if your dealing with an issue I prefer to not use them, I've seen so many move and fight to keep the scope secure on heavier recoiling rifles, I flat won't put them on any 300 win mag or larger, not that some don't have good luck with them but over all I've seen too many allow movement under recoil.

Hit the wrong key. I tried many types and different grained bullets for my 308 Norma the best group I got was with 178 Amax at 300 yards 2 1/2 inch groups, speed avg. with crony-- 3225 fps. Woirks for me! Good luck hunting and be safe.

I almost always put a 20 moa rail on at least, this puts your adjustment range through the middle of your available adjustment vs going from the middle to the top all the time.
While the Burris rings with the inserts are a good tool if your dealing with an issue I prefer to not use them, I've seen so many move and fight to keep the scope secure on heavier recoiling rifles, I flat won't put them on any 300 win mag or larger, not that some don't have good luck with them but over all I've seen too many allow movement under recoil.
I put Vortex rings on my creed to keep the scope closer to the barrel. I didn't have access to Nightforce rings to find out which would fit for what I wanted. Do you see more issues with rifles braked or unbraked? It seems to me(not enough experience with them) the scope gets slammed in both directions from the better brakes. Is this something you have seen noticed?

I'm sure BNG has a lot more experience with them then I do. I have my signature rings on the hardest kicking rifle I've ever fired. It's that same sub-suppressed rifle, when firing top end supersonic heavy bullet loads. Imagine a savage build with a 16" barrel (unbraked) firing 800+ grain bullets at 1700'ish fps.
The only rifle I've had problems with a scope slipping in the rings is my .338 RUM, had to put a third ring on to stop this (XTR's).

Hang on for dear life! Would not like, don't sound like a good time to me. Good luck hunting and be safe.

My 300WM Remington 700 Milspec with a 24" barrel using Hornady 200gr ELD-x:
MV 2880FPS
200 Yard Zero
1000 yard Elevation 23.75MOA
1000 Yard FPS 1714
1000 yard Energy 1304
Alt 4500Ft
Temp 25F

Berger 215 at the same MV and conditions
1000 Yard FPS 1821
1000 Yard Elevation 22.75 MOA
1000 yard Energy 1583

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.