338 win mag BAR

G

gyrhed

Mine shoots buffalo bore 210 grain TTSX into a 3/4" group at 100 yards. Problem is only have 17 left and they don't appear to be making any more. At least it has been over a year. In addition to being very accurate in my rifle they. Chronograph at 2950 FPS. I have been looking over load data I have and nothing seems to get to that speed. The barnes vortec, also a 210 gr TTSX shoots 4" groups but only 2750 FPS. Really don't want to go t o the 225 BB, but I also don't want to spend the time and money to buy to b it the dies, and work up loads for what is a one week elk/mule deer rifle.

Does anyone have a load using the 210 grain TTSX that will get one to 3000FPS safely?

I joined this forum because I swear I saw a thread where someone had altered or build his own gas block to shoot hot reloads in his BAR, but I can't seem to find it.

I have been using 75 grains rl19 with either 225 hornady or 225 nosler ab bullets for years and getting 2900 fps out of my ruger #1 in 338win. I don't see where you couldn't net a couple more fps using 210's at a grain more charge for another 50 fps or so. Alliant actually goes a bit higher (78 grains) than I go for this combo though I am getting plenty of speed. Possibly the 215 primer I use is getting the pressure up a touch more than the 250 they are using.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

As to your rifle's action; I wouldn't screw with an action that's already proofed for cartridges that can produce 65,000 psi... If you need more than the cartridge can produce, get a bigger rifle.

Admittedly the BAR is set up to take a wide variety of factory loadings but when you step into rolling your own for a semi there is more to think about than just peak pressure. Instead of altering powder type and charge to get velocity and accuracy you often find yourself having to load for reliable function as well. I really don't know if this is a valid concern in the BAR, but it is in other SAs.

An adjustable gas block is not altering the guns actiion, it is tuning tool to allow the efficient use of multiple powders. The gas port can be tuned to allow the action to reliably function without overgassing it. Except in the case of the M1 garand for instance, load data rarely addresses the affect of a powders pressure curve on the gas system and a perfectly safe load well under the design of the chamber can beat the action to death, and a scorching hot load fail to open it. An adjustable gas block allows you to shoot any acceptable load with any acceptable pressure and tune the gas system to to operate properly. I load for 5 different semi auto calibers. Some have adjustable gas blocks but like a lot of guys 47-49 grains of IMR 4895 is the only powder I use in my M1, due to its gas system. Many factory loads for the 06 are not safe, or reliable even though peak pressure is under the design of the chamber.

I own but do not load for a 7 mag and the 338 BAR. I am not excited about having to load for my magnum BARs. I'd just as soon stick to factory loads in them. I really don't want to go through all the load build up of different powder choices. I also don't want to buy dies and possibly even the collect dies to full length size the belted case. My son's BARs chamber is so tight it won't chamber some factory loads so collect dies may be required. That's a lot of trouble for a pair of guns that I shoot less than ten rounds a year through.

I am hoping that magnum BAR loaders will chime in and shorten at least my powder selection. Your load may be perfectly acceptable in my BAR, but I have loaded enough ammo for gas operated rifles to know it also may not be that simple.

Admittedly the BAR is set up to take a wide variety of factory loadings but when you step into rolling your own for a semi there is more to think about than just peak pressure. Instead of altering powder type and charge to get velocity and accuracy you often find yourself having to load for reliable function as well. I really don't know if this is a valid concern in the BAR, but it is in other SAs.

An adjustable gas block is not altering the guns actiion, it is tuning tool to allow the efficient use of multiple powders. The gas port can be tuned to allow the action to reliably function without overgassing it. Except in the case of the M1 garand for instance, load data rarely addresses the affect of a powders pressure curve on the gas system and a perfectly safe load well under the design of the chamber can beat the action to death, and a scorching hot load fail to open it. An adjustable gas block allows you to shoot any acceptable load with any acceptable pressure and tune the gas system to to operate properly. I load for 5 different semi auto calibers. Some have adjustable gas blocks but like a lot of guys 47-49 grains of IMR 4895 is the only powder I use in my M1, due to its gas system. Many factory loads for the 06 are not safe, or reliable even though peak pressure is under the design of the chamber.

I own but do not load for a 7 mag and the 338 BAR. I am not excited about having to load for my magnum BARs. I'd just as soon stick to factory loads in them. I really don't want to go through all the load build up of different powder choices. I also don't want to buy dies and possibly even the collect dies to full length size the belted case. My son's BARs chamber is so tight it won't chamber some factory loads so collect dies may be required. That's a lot of trouble for a pair of guns that I shoot less than ten rounds a year through.

I am hoping that magnum BAR loaders will chime in and shorten at least my powder selection. Your load may be perfectly acceptable in my BAR, but I have loaded enough ammo for gas operated rifles to know it also may not be that simple.

I get the adjustable gas block thing. Any powder slow enough to make your 338win sing at all is going to be close enough to be safe and function well with your current system. It's not like you are trying to load lead pills at 2/3 velocity or something like that. There just isn't that wide of a powder range that works well for this cartridge. Collet dies aren't usually required for a semi-auto like the bar, but small base dies often are.
I've been around semi's for a good while too (mostly ar's), but I haven't had a bar... I wouldn't mind a safari in 270wby... I saw one years ago but didn't have the $$ at the time.

My two 338 WM BARs do not have adjustable gas regulators.

I can make new regulators from scratch, or buy regulators from Midwestgunworks, and modify them.

a) 7mm Mag is .066" hole
b) 300 Mag is .077" hole [p/n B3176146]
c) 338 Mag is .059" hole
d) My home made is .078" hole
e) recoil buffer [p/n B3176065]

743955.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.