Browing Bar 300 win. mag

Ksdogman

I recieved a Browning Bar as a gift and have done quite a bit of reloading but for all bolt guns and would like to know if there is any tricks or things that are different for automatics? I plan on using the 168grn. Berger vld.

Thank you
Ryan Thompson

Full length sizing with small base dies base dies is a good idea, and make sure each reloaded round functions through the action before taking it afield (as you know this must be done in a safe area); or, better yet, stick to factory ammo.

I once sent my BAR 7mag back to the factory because my FL resized reloads wouldn't completely chamber. The problem of course was that my damned die wasn't sizing them down enough for that particular chamber, but I was new to the game at the time and thought all sizing dies were perfect. The autos don't have the camming power of a bolt gun, so the case must chamber without any effort.

Last edited:
Im with Lewis on stick with factory stuff. I have a BAR in 06 I got when I was 14 it still shoots great. However I found out the the hard way that you cant hand load much hotter than factory ammo for the BAR. The poly bushing on the gas tube just foward of the mag door cannot take the recoil, first signs of this will be that the magazine door doesnt want to fully open because the bushing has been beaten to a pulp. Id spend my time finding a factory load it likes and stick with it. Other than that someone gave you a fine rifle.

Lucky Dog!

Last edited:
You can reload for them, but like the other guys said, be conservative with your pressure. You may only be able to reload cases a couple times before the pressure rings starts to interfere with feed, unless you have a really good die that resizes all the way down (most standard RCBS's don't). And it pays to crimp with automatics.

Redding has small base dies, but not in 300 win mag. Their custom die service may be fairly economical, especially if you order only a body die. Certainly worth an e-mail.

You shouldn't have any trouble replicating a factory load; ask the bullet manufacturer.

I have the B.A.R. in 300 win mag. It was one of the guns I first started reloading for. I bought the RCBS small base Full Length dies. I wasn't too happy the first time one got stuck in my chamber. Shoots pretty good for an auto gun, atleast for hunting rifle accuracy. I usually just shoot factory core locks, or wichester ammuntion for bear and elk.

Hey Guys,
Read my website, and you'll see what handloaders are doing for their belted magnum calibers. The U.S. Secret Service also uses my Belted Magnum Collet resizing Die. There's no reason to prefer factory ammo.

- Innovative

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.