338 ultra ? dead or still being used?

I had a 700 .338 RUM SS Gray Laminate Stock - and had a muzzle brake installed = lots of boom! = headaches after 10-rds. at the range. Shot good - and devastating. Sold it. :D 102-grains of Retumbo behind a 210-gr. Nosler Partition = 3,100-fps.

I like .338 WM without a brake. - Good enough for me. (Lose the headache.)
Almost 3,000-fps with 210-gr. Nosler Partition. 70-something grains of IMR-4350.
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/338-winchester-magnum/

7mm Remington Magnum and .30-06 are good enough too.

Video - Bull Elk. 7mm Remington Magnum - over 1,300-yards.
But my shots at big game hardly ever go over 200-yards.

Last edited:
I've been using 338 for about 25 years great medium to long range caliber , been using Sierra game king 225 gr Remington brass , IMR 4350, need to up grade optics but have her dialled in to hit 3in gong at 300 yds! Punches through deer and great dropping power on Moose,Elk, and Bear!!
Type Rifle
Place of origin USA
Production history
Designer
Remington
Designed 2000
maybe 19 years not 25 introduced in 2000

One more Rum lover here !
Just finished one for the wife for Spring Bear hunting !
Trued Remington action, timney trigger , Benchmark Carbon barrel 30 " plus brake.
Put a HS Precision stock and a set of talley lights with a Leupold Vx 3 6.5 x 20 x 50 . Cant wait to get out and hit some targets.
I have a Remington BDL Deluxe that just loves the 285 Eldms and H -1000 ..
Getting a 338 Rum Awr set up for my buddy for next fall hunting season .
So yes the Rum is still kicking at my place !

I would not have a .338 RUM without a muzzle brake. I have a Rem M700 Classic .338 WM. without a muzzle brake. My light weight .338 RUM with a brake is much more enjoyable to shoot.

I am a big fan of both RUM rifles and the Lapua Mag. Each has their niche and Remington does a good job on both. My dilemma has always been between the 340 Weatherby and the 338 Lapua Mag. They have great characteristics and are professional spot on rifles for what they are intended for. Never was much for a 300 WM, I prefer one of the two mentioned or what the hell, both :) There is a lot of competition at the 300 level. Not very definitive on choice but a lot on opinion :) BTW, yes I have all 3......

Is there a consensus for optimum COAL? I've always wanted a big .338, so I'd like to start stashing parts for a build.

COAL will help with actions to start with.

Use a magnum action (Like the long action 700 Remington) and cut the chamber with a SAMMI reamer. It was made for this action and magazine length controls free bore.

This cartridge needs some free bore to reach it's potential, so load to mag length minus .020 and you will be happy. No need to get tricky with this cartridge, because it does it's best as is. With the new powders available now, it is a real performer.

J E CUSTOM

Use a magnum action (Like the long action 700 Remington) and cut the chamber with a SAMMI reamer. It was made for this action and magazine length controls free bore.

This cartridge needs some free bore to reach it's potential, so load to mag length minus .020 and you will be happy. No need to get tricky with this cartridge, because it does it's best as is. With the new powders available now, it is a real performer.

J E CUSTOM

The first 700 338 RUM I had was a conversion from a 338 WM. (BAD IDEA.) But the fat RUM case will not feed out of the magazine past the rails unless modified - widened just right - or it will be a single feed! -- You need a RUM action LIKE THIS :D (Need a RUM box too.)
https://grabagun.com/remington-85320-700la-ultra-mag-bolt.html

Cheaper Than Dirt has them too.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/pro...receiver-assembly-blued-85319-047700853192.do

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.