338 thunder project

Re: 338 thunder pics

What I told Rem 25-06 about 2 weeks ago. Soaking overnight will not work on pre-tied newspaper. The center will be dry. You have to "fluff it up" to get the water into the center pages. Running 7mm 160 gr Nosler partions with an impact velocity of maybe 2900 fps I was getting about 12-14 inches of penetration. Transporting leaking, wet, dripping newspaper is also a lot of fun.

[ QUOTE ]
I told you so. That newspaper is hard to get wet.

While you can still remember. Record what was the penetration depths. Secondly, try to remember what you saw when you found the actual bullet. If there is a "dry spot" the bullet will act like a "paper punch" and build up layers of paper in front of it and it is the front paper that is absorbing the damage and the bullet is 30 pages back just pushing a wad of paper through the rest of the newspaper. This obscures the fact that the bulllet is fragile or tough. You simply do not know when the bullet "pushes " paper. Retained weigth becomes meaningless because the newspaper did not provide a realistic simulation of animal tissue reacting to the bullet. If the bullet was not "pushing paper" then you can have a little more confidence in the results but I would shoot at least three of any bullet you are actually considering for a large boned animal so you have an understanding of repeatibility of the bullet behavior.

I apologize for raining on your parade, but there is a lot of "issues" with this kind of testing and you need to understand what you have seen. I have been there , done that, and erred. Just trying to help you not beat you up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is what I like about this site. There is always someone who can help with personal experience on every subject!

I admittedly have little experience testing match bullets in phone books at long range. Usually, when testing with phone books, it has been at super high velocities with actual hunting bullets at closer ranges. This was my first test on books at long range with a match bullet.

What threw me was how badly damaged the Scenars were that hit the burm at 1k. They smashed themselves clear down to the half-way mark on the boat tail! I thought if anything, they would be TOO frangible. But after yesterday, it seemed just the opposite.

Then I got thinking maybe I should have doused the paper first but I really wanted to simulate tougher tissue so I left them dry. Then I read Kirby's and JB's experiences with the MK's and it got me really thinking. So I took some wire cutters and snipped the tip off the bullet this morning and guess what I found. A wad of confetti the size of a pea inside the hollow cavity! Somehow, it slipped through the tiny hollow point and wedged itself inside the cavity so hard it would barely come out with a knife!

I guess that answers that. Now to try them again in WET phonebooks at 1k and 100 yards.

At least for the moment, I am revived and relieved that maybe 350 rounds of barrel life may not have been in vain after all! Thanks everyone for your kind words.

On to the soaking.....

Well, the soaking wet newspaper was not enough to make the Scenars open up at all at 500 yards or 1000 yards and dry paper made the 250 grain MK's open up only part of the time at 500 yards. They showed more promise than the Lapuas for expansion but were inconsistent in this category so they will be scrapped for now.

On to the Accubonds. Gave them a bc test today and they came out at .565. That is still a way high bc for a hunting bullet and their weights were within .5 grains and their bearing surfaces measured less than .002 difference. They will carry over a ton of energy a little past 1000 yards and I can be guaranteed of consistent, unfailing, deadly little mushrooms from 25 yards to 1500.

This may be good info for a guy who is planning on building a custom rifle for hunting. You may pick a bullet, but it will be a huge advantage to make the rifle able to shoot more than one bullet because the bullet you want to shoot may not be the best choice for any number of reasons. In other words, have a backup plan and don't limit yourself to shooting one weight. It will be a wise choice in my opinion. I am **** glad that I designed my reamer around the Scenars AND the Accubonds just in case!

GG,

Great shooting with the 338 Thunder. I am glad everything is working out for you. I am sending you an email with some pics of the 225 gr AB shot from my 338 RUM into water jugs at 50 yds, 100 yds, 200 yds, and 300 yds. I don't know how to post pics. Feel free to post them here if you care to share with everyone.

Regards,

JD338

Here are the pics from JD338's experiments with the accubonds. Thanks JD.
accubond1.jpg

accubond2.jpg

Got a chance to try out some of those accubonds today. 4 out of 5 loads had standard deviations in the single digits with RL22. The best load had an sd of 7 and spit out the 225 accubond at 3290 and grouped .388" at 100. The small load was 95.0 grains of RL22 and went a touch over quarter inch and zipped 3322 average.

I think I've got a load now for the Scenars, the MK's, and the Accubonds! If I had just gone in reverse order, I could have found a load in 15 rounds for the AB's and saved a couple hundred rounds of barrel life. Oh well. Live and learn.

Here's that small group:
ab95rl22.jpg

Old bear joined us today for some testing in his 243AI. He's getting set up here. NOtice the snow is almost all gone haleluyah!
oldbear.jpg

Thanks JD338.

I added my input on the nosler site just in case they are still taking customer requests. I hope they consider the "long range" crowd in their next bullet. I can't really see the point in the one guy asking for a 90 grain 270 bullet in an Accubond. But watch and see, he'll get his before we get ours!

THe thunder will get a crack at the following this year if all goes according to plan:
Utah spike elk
Utah mule deer
Utah cow elk
Utah California bighorn
Utah Bull elk
Wyoming doe antelope
Wyoming mule deer
Montana bighorn
and maybe an occasional rockchuck

Of course, I would have to draw half of those but the other half is a sure thing.

Grouper if you go on just half those hunts your going to need some serious freezer space,assuming that pathetic Green Monster of yours has enough ompf to kill something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
were you planning on takeing your spotter along? If so I better try to get in better shape!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

GG,

I see a few of the guys here have added their inputs on the Nosler site for a 338 cal 250 gr AB. The more voices heard, the better the chanches. Unless you want a 90 gr AB for your 270. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Hope it helps everyone out.

Your list is short, what about Moose?
I hope you get all your tags and fill them.
BTW, I have 2 freezers if you run out of room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

JD338

Moose is unfortunately a once in a lifetime deal here in Utah along with sheep. So, I can only put in for one at a time and sheep are much preferred to moose in my mind. I could start putting in for moose in other states but after I put in for sheep, there isn't much green left for moose.

I hear ya on the extra freezer space!

GG,
Congrats to you and your rifle. I'm glad its shooting so well. I can't wait to build something just like it.. Its a beauty for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
I hear ya on the extra freezer space

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things that are a sure jinx. Empty freezer and a drawer full of freeze wrapping paper.

If you want to kill a lot of animals then go fill up your freezer with ice cream and give all your wrapping paper away and throw the freezer tape in the garbage.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.