338 thunder project

JB ,I believe you are missing something.

If the wrap was insulating the bbl it would take some time before the heat could be felt on the outside surface of the wrap. It doesn't happen that way. The temperature change can be felt immediately after the first shot.

If the wrap was holding heat in the bbl steel after 12 shots, I think that the surface temp.of the carbon wrap would never cool down untill the steel liner temp. itself equlized with the outside temp. Then they both would cool very slowly.

It doesn't happen like thatwith the ABS bbl. It equalizes in about one to two minutes and then quickly cools down.

The other gun in the test had the bbl temp. rise for several minutes after firing stopped (149* @ 5 min.I think)before it started to cool. It was still 142* at 10 min.

In those same 10 min. after 12 shots and 770 more grains of the same powder down the bbl, the ABS bbl was near ambient temp. about 80* or so.

If I didn't believe in this I wouldn't have an ABS Inc barrel at Fiftys place right now for my own project.

RHB

When you get the pictures of the heat ready to post. Maybe you can post the name and/or model # or whatever of the gizmo that took the pictures. I am just curious as to what this thing actually is. Doesn't have much to do with hunting but it would help to understand what actually happened.

Home inspectors use them now to find where heat is escaping or coming into your house. Lots of folks use them in a dedicated manner, and charge a fee to solve your headaches quickly. Its common in your bigger cities like here in Houston now. The big boys in real estate are using them to point out problems to save customers money or drive the price up on homes they sell by showing definatively that the unit is tight. They are nothing short of amazing!

You can get infrared film for the 35mm camera but its a real hassel getting developed and I'm not sure of the quality.

IPs the man w/da machine!

I wonder if the local irrigation pump fix-it place has one? They do work in the Nevada gold mines also. I'll have to check....

Buff B.

The day after this thread was started I turned on the TV to Discovery Chan. while I ate lunch. The show was about the making of the worlds largest cruise ship and its maiden voyage. All the time they were under power they had a man with one of these cameras looking into engines and bearing housings looking for problems. they found two bearings that were bad and showed the camera working. One bearing was on the propeller shaft inside a houseing that was huge, and the camera looked inside and gave an exact temp. reading. This allowed them to shut it down before any damage was done.

Pretty cool stuff to be able to calibrate to look through carbon fiber and read the S.S. bbl temp.---RHB---

7mmrhb

My son likes to watch that kind of stuff on discovery channel. I try to keep it tuned to Sci Fi but he is always changing it over. I will try to watch for it.

BB

[ QUOTE ]
I try to keep it tuned to Sci Fi....

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we know where the lunarlope idea came from!!! Too many late nights watching Sci Fi!!

Ok, after a long wait, the thermal pics are here.

Ambient temperature is listed in one of the boxes and all temps are recorded along points of the barrel where the crosshairs are.

If you can't make out the numbers on the temp chart, say so and I will type them in.
Thermal1:
thermal1.jpg

Thermal 2:
thermal2.jpg

Thermal 3:
thermal3.jpg

Thermal 4:
thermal4.jpg

Thermal 5:
thermal5.jpg

So, from these pics, we can see that although I burn 20 grains more powder than the 300 win mag in pic #5 and I have already fired 5 more shots than the 300, my barrel never got hotter than 102 degrees farenheit and the 300 got up to over 150 degrees and stayed above 100 for 15 minutes!
The carbon barrel shot 8 aimed rounds as fast as I physically could and barely got above body temp. If you were to try this on a 70 degree day with a normal barreled 338 ultra mag, you would be able to cook a hot dog on the barrel!
Take a look at thermal image #4. It gives a readout on my neck as sp07 and shows it as 93 degrees. At sp06, my barrel is only 2 degrees hotter after 8 shots! That is amazing! Feel the back of your neck and that is roughly the temp of my barrel after 8 shots on a 74.1 degree day!

Proof the carbon wrap keeps things cooler to start and gets rid of accumulated heat 10 times faster than regular steel!

Can somebody please make a link of these pics to the thread I started called something like, "abs heat dissipation" in this subsection? THanks.

That is very impressive - both the camera work and the carbon wrap transmitting heat so quickly.

I had to go back through nearly all of the pages to find the picture that showed where the carbon wrap started near the reciever.

I find it interesting that the inch or so of barrel steel near the reciever did not heat up but the brake did in the picture taken after 8 shots. I can't remember ever putting my hand in that exact spot to feel for barrel heat so I don't know/remember about it. But is interesting and probably has to do with the timing of taking the picture. After the last shot - might not have been enough time for heat to flow to there.

Very nice work and very interesting report.

Now that's what I call, "beyond any shadow of doubt"

I really want to say something about GG's neck temperature, but shant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

nice results GG. pretty impressive to say the least!!! I do have to say I am conscerned about pic #4 though. After carefully studying the pic it is clear that you are a redneck and you must immediatly move to OK with rest of us suffering in the 105deg heat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Impressive GG, thanks for the info

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.