338 RUM Vs Edge

Well I read all the post 3 times ! Some very good points posted above .

I built , bought , still have a pile of both the Rums and Edge Rifles and always will ..

Never messed with the Papua or any Normas and never will .
I prover that two rifles , 338 Rum , 338 edge running the same components and build specks were almost identical.
338 Rum , 300 gr berger, h-1000 @ 2883
338 Edge , 300 gr berger, h-1000 @ 2884
Both were 1/10 twist , 30" Carbon barrels built for Hunting .
My furthest kill on Elk so far is 1244 yards. Tons of testing both of these Caliber's.
If I remember correctly at least 6 or 7 builds in both Caliber's.

Then I tryed a 24" Carbon 338 Rum , all i can say is Wow ! 24" barrel , t-3 Termanator, 250 gr bergers , h-1000 @ 2997 ft.per.sec!
Super easy to hunt with compared to the 30" barrels.

Then jumped back over to a 300 Rum .
26" carbon barrel 1/9 twist , 245 gr. berger , Nv570 @ 3010 ft.per.sec. no kills with this new build .

Most rifles build above are with Remington actions . With minimal work done to them . One Edge was on a Lawton 7000 action . I still have this one and I can eject a live round . Most of my Coals are around 3.95 length .

Not a single rifle I built has a extended box of any sort . I look at it this way you reload for this rifle ..you should be able to get it to shoot almost perfect . Hole in hole .
I trust my reloading that much ! I always have a round ready to stuff in the action if needed.
My builds have been from 9.5 pounds up to 19.6 pounds all in . The heavy ones are just not good for this old guy hunting anymore !

If I had a choice of builds today with my experience on the above ?? As the guys on here know me well ...it would be a tough choice . Probably build one of each again ! 😎

One thing ..during my testing I was stacked up with Remington brass and H-1000 . Now I have some ADG brass and a pile of different powders to re test !
The weather is starting to turn over here so more testing to come !

I pushed my self to to 3027 yards on steel with the 338 Edge , its past time hit my 2 mile goal !

Anyway if I can help you out with the Rum's or the Edge just send me a PM!

I'm no (Pro ) and have no training but just a Deep Desire to push them long !

Your 1000 yard goal is truly easy in my book !
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man
Awesome!! Very helpful info.
As I type this im
Arriving at the gates of King Ranch in TX to hunt Nilgai with my 300 Rum and 180 Hammer hunters. I'll keep you posted.

Here's a short oldie but epic thread on .338s, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/338-water-capacity.45221/; LTLR was a gunsmith but retired when I first joined. He had tons of real-world experience in building rifles and hunting and was always willing and able to share a hand. I miss his posts; he was last seen on July 29, 2013.

Ed

I really miss that guy!!

OP- I have the RUM, i'm still in the testing phase but initially LRT with a 285 ELD is showing 2900+ with a 27" tube & still Mag fed. It's plenty for what I need lol

t

I've got a 338 rum built out of a winchester 70. My coal is about 3.940 which means single feed in my action. I am shooting 300 grain bergers at 2729 fps with ramshot LRT.

I do not own either but was in the same position as you with the decision. I want to use a LA with magnum bolt face and have it be a repeater. I looked at a DBM but it just limits the COAL too much. Barrel length will be 26" because this will be a hunting rig that I might want to throw a suppressor on. There are a lot of threads and debates on these 2 cartridges out there. After a TON of research, I have decided to build a 338 RUM using a 4" Wyatts magbox, throated for Berger 250 Elite Hunters and I'm also going to +P the throat. This will place the boattail of the bullet at the neck/shoulder junction of the case and still have room in the mag. COAL should work out to 3.8". A Berger 300 Elite Hunter should be right around 3.94" COAL and if I have to push the 300 grain pills back in the case a little further, I'm ok with that to make it a repeater.

I think one of the biggest comments that swayed me to the 338 RUM was from Long Time Long Ranger in this thread.
.338 RUM vs. .338 EDGE
It makes total sense. I'm getting older so ease and convenience are starting to outweigh chasing pure performance for me now.