338 rum barrel length

grouse

I posted this on another forum and the thread turned personal so I'm posting here, which is where I should have posted first

I'm working on a 338 rum and trying to determine Barrel length. I'm wanting to keep somewhat short 26-27" but everything that I keep reading says 28-30 is minimum. I ran across this article on the lapua. Think this would be similar for the RUM? If so do you I think I can get away with 26" for a hunting rifle? Any other rum shooters care to chime in? Thanks

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/03/338-lapua-magnum-barrel-length-versus-muzzle-velocity-30-17-inches/

I Have built three 338 RUMs one for myself and two friends. mine is a 26.5 inch 6 groove krieger on a REM Varment contour the other two are 28 inch proofs all three of them shoot the same load and within 30 fps of each other we all shoot 250 bergers at 3025 to 3055 with R25. I fell in love with mine this last deer season :)
good luck I think you will be fine :)

Will it go faster with a longer barrel, YES. Is it enough to matter in real world hunting conditions, not likely.

You didn't specifiy what bullet you intend to use. For simplicity, let's use a 300 Berger since I'm using their ballastics calculator and an 1800 FPS minimum velocity threshold since it's a popular consensus of minimum required impact velocity.

At 3000 fps MV, you fall below 1800 fps at 1160 yards.
At 3050 fps MV, you fall below 1800 fps at 1210 yards.
Not enough to get twisted up about.

I'd stick with a 26 inch tube for a hunting rifle. That big bullet will do work when it arrives on scene.

I'd be interested in the 338 Norma myself. It will function with high BC bullets loaded long from a magnum action and Lapua makes brass for it. Neither of these options are available with the RUM.

At a MV of 2800 fps you fall below 1800 fps at 1000 yards. Plenty far for most killin.

Here's an interesting article on the 338 Norma.
http://www.mountainshootingcenter.com/338-norma-review/

Mines 26".

Longer and heavier works if you're specifically gearing for a "pure" LR rifle. in which case 30-31" is where you'll want to be. 28" seems like a compromise that serves neither as well as the other choices. In a general hunting rifle that all just gets in the way.

My other 2 cents is if you're looking at the Lapua and Norma versions step up in action size.

It all depends on where your velocity node is and maybe burning a little more powder to reach it with a shorter barrel. I've seen two guns of the same cartridge, one with 26" barrel and other with a 22" barrel shoot within 20fps of each other because that's where we found good nodes. The 22" barrel uses more powder to achieve the same velocity because it's less efficient, but at the end of day, who really cares.

I had a .338 Edge with a 30" Lilja 3 groove, it ran on average 2800 fps (depending on lot of h1000) with 300 grainers.
When I got my .338 RUM it ran the same speeds with RL33 and a 26" barrel. I wanted to run it suppressed while hunting so chopped the barrel down to 20". This dropped muzzle velocity by 200 fps! I shot that barrel out in about a year and a half and just had a 24" put on it back in December. I haven't been able to find a load it (I) like after about 200 rounds and several powders, bullets and primers. However it is running 300's out at 2700+ fps with RL33.

I'm looking to build a 338 RUM as well - plan is to go with a 28" sendero or varmint contour (whichever I can find in stock). It would have a brake as well.

I am shooting Barnes 225 TTSX , 3130 fps. CSR (Ryan Pierce) brake. Recoil is not bad at all. This gun is my timber gun.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.