338 Barrel length??

Darrin,

You 1B'rs have to take a bit of a ribbing once in awhile but 1J is way worse.:D

REgarding recoil:

When my 700 was a 338 Win it kicked the snot out of me. I had to go to the neighbor's place to scrounge some thick rubber insulation to complete the 3 shot group. The first two were really good. About 45 minutes later the 3rd one went "right in there" I was pretty happy

I then got a holland QD brake installed and rebuilt/redesigned the stock into a LRG configuration and added a couple of pounds. All up she went a bit better than 12 lbs.

Was fun to shoot.

Max velocities were:

225 gr bullet - 2865 FPS
250 gr bullet - 2805 FPS

My goto load hung around 0.25 and .5 MOA @ 200

I wanted more velocity to reduce the rainbow trajectory as I never really achieved a decent extreme spread with it. My steel coyote was save 2 out of 3 shots at 830 yds.

I bought a new RUM take off barrel and had it installed with the same brake. It wouldn't shoot any bullet but the 300 SMK and it shoots it really well. Vel is just under the mid 2750s. Since I put the tupperware stock on it it's now pretty much dedicated carry gun. Weight and scope limit it to just under 900 yds.

My 15 year old grand son weighing in at a gigantic 110 lbs shoots it prone all afternoon with no chronic or acute affects.

I shot a 375 H&H w/the heaviest bullet I could find, off hand and sitted and enjoyed it. The Win May and RUM were a whole different matter.lightbulb

Sneak over to Sam's, he's now downtown someplace, He'll make you a deal on a Remmy or maybe even a Savage. He's tighter than heck but he'll give the best price in town.

Now that the season is about over, there will be plenty of new items on the used racks. Check Doc's Gun Barn and of course Sam's. Sam will dicker, Doc's won't.

Roy,
have you heard anything about the break that elk contry sports in montpieller being any good. You are right sam is the best price in town. However docs shoots no bull. I truely believe that the remmy xcr 338 rum would be a great alround long range rig.
The only thing I do not like is the stock. I would put a HS percision on it . What savage are you talking about. I have an order in with savage for a 338 wm 27 in heavey fluted barrel . But savage does not make a rum.

Darrin

Last edited:
Roy,
have you heard anything about the break that elk contry sports in montpieller being any good. You are right sam is the best price in town. However docs shoots no bull. I truely believe that the remmy xcr 338 rum would be a great alround long range rig.
The only thing I do not like is the stock. I would put a HS percision on it . What savage are you talking about. I have an order in with savage for a 338 wm 27 in heavey fluted barrel . But savage does not make a rum.

Darrin

Every once in awhile they will make a RUM in one of there rifles. If you call the factory, you should be able to special order a RUM from Savage. I know one of the dealers my dad used, "Jerry's sport center" was offering a 111 model in 300 RUM.

Tank

Never heard of Elk Country Sports......... Maybe I shold visit there. Every once in awhile I need some short term services.

The guy in Rexburg does good work but is slower than tar.

What you ordered would seem very reasonable for LRH to me. The trick would be a 20 MOA base and plenty of clicks or at least 10 MOA on the reticle.

Plus some black pick up truck bed liner.:D

Roy,
The scope that I plan on putting ontop is the vortex crossfire 6-24x50 . It has 30mm tube 85 moa and I plan to put a base just like you said. Base with 20. Moa which puts me rnd total of 105 moa
Not to shabby

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.