338 lapua barrel length???

losthelegend

I am looking at having a 338 lapua built on a Rem700p action. What barrel length would you guys suggest. I am looking at a 1-10 twist with a magnum muscle brake. I dont mind extra weight and am wanting to shoot 300 gr SMK and also an elk hunting bullet(TBD). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the advice.

28-32" plus the brake would be my choice. Might as well utilize all that big case will hold especially shooting the heavier bullets using the slower powders.

I certainly would not go any shorter and would lean more towards the 30-32".

Unless I was dead serious about using it exclusively for long to very long range I would not go with the .338, I'd go with the 300 Rum (which I did).

My experience is that 26" in a 338 RUM is very adequate with the 300 grain bullets.

I'm only a little behind the Lapua in velocity, not enough to move up.:)

This is my sporter weight carry gun. My other LR rifles are 28" and 30".

An interesting note is that when I had to replace a 30" barrel, it happened that a 28" barrel of the same manufacturer was installed. I now get the same MV with 2 grains less powder. I am pleased.

Depending on your intended use, my long barrels are all used from "hides" I hover around 28". For an entire season carrying a 30" barrel around the mountains resulted in the muzzle brake touching the ground and hitting trees often enough to bug me. That is to say they take a little getting used to.:)

There is no reason that when properly placed the 300 SMK won't do the job. The 300 Berger is my goto bullet for anything shot with the 338 caliber.

Besides the break brand, thats the same set up as I have. Shoots great! Barrel is a 28" hart 1:10 no complaints

[

QUOTE=royinidaho;674366]My experience is that 26" in a 338 RUM is very adequate with the 300 grain bullets.

I'm only a little behind the Lapua in velocity, not enough to move up.:)

This is my sporter weight carry gun. My other LR rifles are 28" and 30".

An interesting note is that when I had to replace a 30" barrel, it happened that a 28" barrel of the same manufacturer was installed. I now get the same MV with 2 grains less powder. I am pleased.

Depending on your intended use, my long barrels are all used from "hides" I hover around 28". For an entire season carrying a 30" barrel around the mountains resulted in the muzzle brake touching the ground and hitting trees often enough to bug me. That is to say they take a little getting used to.:)

There is no reason that when properly placed the 300 SMK won't do the job. The 300 Berger is my goto bullet for anything shot with the 338 caliber.[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.