338 edge barrel length

losthelegend

I am looking for input in regards to the proper barrel length and rate twist for a 338 edge using 300 bergers. I have heard anywhere between 26 inches and 30 inches not including muzzlebrake, but that is a broad range. Any input is greatly appreciated.

1 in 10 twist and I would go with a 28 or 30. It depends on what you really want from the rifle. Will the 30 be a problem for you packing it? Are yu going to shoot past 1500 yards?

The 28" will gve you a muzzle velocity around 2800 fps with a 300 Berger and H-1000 for powder. The 30 will probably get you closer to 2850.

Jeff

Im thinking on trying 26" on a new barrel i just purchsed from this site it has a 9.3 twist. Guess it will either work or not.
mike

You can go with 1:9.3 to 1:10 twist. Broz is right give us a little more information on what you plan using this rifle for and we can better help you. You are going to lose 15-25 fps per inch depending on the individual barrel.

1 in 10 twist and I would go with a 28 or 30. It depends on what you really want from the rifle. Will the 30 be a problem for you packing it? Are yu going to shoot past 1500 yards?

The 28" will gve you a muzzle velocity around 2800 fps with a 300 Berger and H-1000 for powder. The 30 will probably get you closer to 2850.

Jeff
Jeff what do you think of a 9.3 26"? I just picked one up that was 4 sale on this site thought i would give a try.
Mike

Jeff what do you think of a 9.3 26"? I just picked one up that was 4 sale on this site thought i would give a try.
Mike

I think accuracy will be good, but it will have a little less velocity from the shorter tube and a little loss from the twist too. But I don't think it will be a huge deal. If you are considering a 26" you are most likely wanting a rifle to carry and such and probably not worried about the ELR shots past 1200 yards. So it will probably fill yourneeds just fine.

Jeff

I talked to tech support at Berger and they suggested 1-9.5 and 1-10 twist should stabilize their whole 338 bullet line. I think I decided on a 1-9.5 with a 28 inch barrel plus a muzzle brake. I am not sure on the brand of barrel. Any suggestions?

I talked to tech support at Berger and they suggested 1-9.5 and 1-10 twist should stabilize their whole 338 bullet line. I think I decided on a 1-9.5 with a 28 inch barrel plus a muzzle brake. I am not sure on the brand of barrel. Any suggestions?

I have shot hundreds of the Berger 300's as well as the SMK's from a 1 in 10 . some well past 1 mile and all is good.

I will need to rebarrel soon and I will probably go Hart. Although there is nothing wrong with Lilja or Broughton either.

Jeff

Jeff, you hit it perfect. Im after a carry gun already have the 28" pipe #7 and you can guess the weight. Know the vel. wont be as good but if she hits hard at 1k im a happy camper.
Mike

I would go with a 1 and 9.5 twist. And a 30 inch barrel. It will give you the velocity you want. Thats what I am going to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.