338 RUM abd 300 Bergers

Ultramag45

Hey guys, Been having a heck of a time getting the 300 bergers to shoot out of my Defensive Edge 338 RUM... It will shoot 300 Smks and 300 Accubonds behind 88 to 89 grs of H1000 all in a bughole..seated at 3.775OAL as where Shawn seated the test loads...I have played with these bergers up and down in .2 increments and seating depths...I start with mag length which is 3.80.. Dont want to single shot them.....changed to retumbo and have done the same...cant get under an inch...changed primers from CCI250s to Fed 215 still nothing good....Any suggestions....thanks gun)

I have played with these bergers up and down in .2 increments and seating depths...I start with mag length which is 3.80..

Is this corrct? You checked seating depth in 200 thousands increments? If so you may very well have missed the sweet spot. Try checking them in .030" increments or less.

How far off te lands are you when seated at mag box (.3800") ?

Jeff

Berger has suggested seating depths for the VLD target and the VLD Hunting to get you close. I dont know how they are effected in the Hybrid bullet. The seating depth are listed in the artical in my signature line. I would ask Eric or call Berger beacuse it looks like you A. have spent a a bunch of money on bullets or B. missed a zero.

Is this corrct? You checked seating depth in 200 thousands increments? If so you may very well have missed the sweet spot. Try checking them in .030" increments or less.

How far off te lands are you when seated at mag box (.3800") ?

Jeff
Powder increments 2tenths at a time...and went 3.800 OAL to 3.780. 3.760, 3.750...gonna start with most accurate pwder charge of 88 gr h1000 and run these....hope it will perform...almost shot a box and havent gotten close....

How far of the lands was your longest load? My edge puts em in the same hole at .035 off the lands with anything in between 89.0 and 91.0 grains h1000.

Powder increments 2tenths at a time...and went 3.800 OAL to 3.780. 3.760, 3.750...gonna start with most accurate pwder charge of 88 gr h1000 and run these....hope it will perform...almost shot a box and havent gotten close....

Please read thelink below. Believe me it works. The last one I did they all came to the same hole at -.100" off the lands. I feel you are close on the charge weight but need to find a sweet spot for seating. These are very accurate bullets in everything we have shot them in. And I have shot over 500 of them.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

Jeff

Working on same loads as you are. Tried n 560 84.0 best accuracy so far 2708 fps have you crono h 1000 2630 with 88.5 in my gun. 28 in barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.