338/300 RUM

Lerch,

Depending on the range you will be shooting, do not overlook the 375 RUM as well. This is a serious hammer for ranges out to 600 yards easily. At closer ranges, sub 400 yards, it is dramatically more impressive visually on big game then the 338s. Trajectory is better then you would expect as well and I hear there may be some 375 bullets coming from up north here in a while!!

Just another option to murky the waters.

Certainly the 375 does not have the trajectory of the 338s but it does very well in this chambering. My personal 375 RUM was getting 3100 fps with the 270 gr Hornady Spitzer and 2875 with the 300 gr Nosler in a 26" barrel.

The ones I have built in traditional sporter weight rifles have been 1/2 moa shooters and with a Holland QD are very easy to shoot, about like a 30-06 sporter.

+5400 ft/lbs of energy in a 26" pipe is nothing to sneeze at!!!

Both are great options, just wanted to throw you another curve ball /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen

It would!!I had a .375JRS for years until someone offered me too much $, it would load very close to 378WBY but not quite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Definantly something to think about Kirby, I like the idea of that wider bullet for the big dangerous guys. I would definantly want the gun to be a legitamate 1k elk gun.

I sent you a email

thanks
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.