338/300 RUM

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Not that this would happen anytime soon, sorry Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but what do you all think about a 338/300 RUM in a 8-9lb rifle with 30" barrel and holland brake. How bad would this little sucker kick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am thinking about a future project that would be kinda the ultimate all game carry rifle IMOP. The gun would be throated to shoot the 300gr wildcat, i am not sure what kinda velocity we could expect out of this though. i would think this gun would be "death from above" to anything from elk to bear from the muzzel to 1000yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Probably wouldnt use this for grizzly though

just wanted to stir the tank and see what you all thought

thanks
steve

I have one + or - 9lbs has the very effecient design by R.L.Matthews (brake)and kicks very little, velocity over 3000fps with the 300 gr pill. The 200gr easily over 3500fps but my rifle has a bit of free bore.Large a frames or partitions should do a number on Grizz, shot placement always crucial.Fatherest I have shot mine was 750 yds. and was sub min. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif it has pretty good energy at a grand.Get 'ol Kirby to build you one you will not be unhappy!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what do you all think about a 338/300 RUM in a 8-9lb rifle with 30" barrel and holland brake. How bad would this little sucker kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just guessing that you should be able to get somewhere up to 2900 or so with the 300gr bullet, how much more can that recoil compared a 250 @ 3150 and they do that all the time. I bethcha Shawn's daughter doesn't even worry about it.

I'm shooting a 252 @ 2800 with the holland break and its sweet. Could probably go hundreds of rounds in a PD town with only a gentle reminder the next day and that would be from shooting prone .

My rifle pushes 11 lbs and I'm not about to melt the lead out to see what 9 or so would be like. But, I understand that recoil wouldn't be more with the lighter weight just different.

Twist rather than recoil may be a spot of bother. I'd love to see ol' lerch launch one of those 350s and get rolled over on his back. Let's see, right hand twist... you'd have to tuck a beanie bag under your ribs on the left side. BB could video it. Sweet!

However, the bbl would have to be pretty thin out toward the 30" mark to make that weight, and may be as flexible as a bamboo fly rod and would and heat up like a brandin' iron.

[ QUOTE ]
The gun would be throated to shoot the 300gr wildcat[/quote

This part would be neat. Was told that if machined properly, very little accuracy would be lost when seating shorter bullets.

I'm about to embark on a bit of a 338 Rum project, mostly for fun and games but will throat it for the 252 or possibly whatever is between 252 and the 300.

[ QUOTE ]
Probably wouldnt use this for grizzly though

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatsa matta, you skeer'd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm figurin' that would be the ultimate self defence griz gun.

Situation: You're in the greater yellowstone area. Your 385 bull elk is down. You made a beauty of a 695 and a half yard shot. Takes you 35 minutes to get to it. soon to be delisted Mr. Griz hears the shot. He knows what it means! He heads towards the shot. About the time you have your celebration (high 5s/hugs &amp; kisses/ oops that cowboys not LR hunters (skip the kisses) here comes Mr. Griz.

Decision time. Do you walk away from the BC bull or stand your ground. Here's where that 30" bbl and nearly 2 inch Holland QD come into play. You stand your ground pretty much like John Wayne, astradle that BC Bull. When Mr. Griz gets 32 inches from you - Bang-Flop! The QD burns 3-bladed propeller shaped powder burn in Mr. Griz's fur. There you go. All the self defence evidence you need. Not to mention the stinkin' skivs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, doesn't RM416 have one of those /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or is it a 375 RUM.

Lerch,

TO make a 9 lb rifle would not be a problem at all. Only issue may be the OAL of the round using the 300 gr bullets and fitting in the mag.

You should know by now that recoil will never be an issue anymore if you don;t want it to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

This is a serious hammer, for best accuracy I would have to recommend a #7 contour and to keep weight down have it fluted as well.

YOu may get into a bit of a muzzle heavy situation with this length of a barrel keeping her under 9 lbs but not to bad.

By the way, the last three e-mails I sent you were returned undelieverable, what the hell, did you block me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

If it's about our "project", send them to me. I'll clue him in.

BTW, the 1500 yd pd attempt #3 failed. I'll post a story w/more details and some pics tomorrow!!!! I will tell you that a 1500 yd one way trip toting a 17 lb rifle is a helluva long way!!!

Lerch,

The 338 EDGE is not a recoil issue in any weight rifle with a good break, my only concern for your project is the profile you might have to run to get sub 9 lbs. Kirby also mentions the oal issue, a Wyatt's box mag is just barely long enough to work nicely. I am working on bottom metal for this round or any Rem LA to allow center feed of 4.000" and 5 round capacity. I will keep everyone posted. I am sure whatever options on profile etc. you choose you will be happy with whatever Kirby turns out for you.

Shawn,That bottom metal project you are working on will be perfect!I've been going a lot of research on the 338-300,and the 2 main stumbling blocks to making this cartridge fullfill it's potential in a repeater is the limitations on it's OAL and only having a 2rd mag.With your system,a person will be able to seat a 300gr bullet out far enough without seating it too deep,and partially negating it's case capacity.And the extra magazine capacity will make it much more worthwhile than going to a single shot,which is what I was going to do until now!I for one will be checking in periodically to check on your progress.Thanks

Shawn,

That bottom metal project is of interest to me. Any way a Lapua case size would work in your system with a four round capacity? Just curious.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sniper2

Though I absolutly love shooting at long range whenever I do get to go Grizzly hunting I figure it would be fairly close range, 150yds and in. For this I would probably wanna use something with a larger diameter bullet. .375 or bigger, just for the added thump /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I think long range grizzly would be a hell of a lot of fun but it seems like most guides wont go for it. Maybe some day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Kirby,

Hopefully in a year or two me and you can team up for this little project, would be interesting to have you build me a gun that doesnt weigh in the double digits!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Muzzle heavy wouldnt be a problem, just want something a little easier to carry around. I figure this rifle would be about as close to possible to the finger of God in a carry weight rifle.

I sent you a email this morning (1-23-06), hopefully you got it. My home computer is a diseased little sucker so I have to use the one at work.

shoot me another email about the "project" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks
steve

I've run the numbers before, you'd need to go with a 416WBY to have more energy!And while several will argue about diameter and momentum a friend of mine who was a rocket scientist R&amp;D with private sector said I was correct about my observations about the .338/300 round.With proper bullett selection and placement I'd feel confident with my .338/300 at 100 yds. and out.Not trying to start an argument but I am entitled to having confidence in my rifle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would absolutly love to hunt large dangerous game from somewhat extended ranges. Something about getting closer that 100yds to an animal that see me as not a meal but a appetizer is not all that appealing unless it is the only way a guide will do it.

I would love to set up about 400yds from a big grizz and let this big 338 eat up on him, just seems like most guides wont go for this.

Hell by the time I can afford to go maybe I will find a guide that would go for some longer range bear hunting.

That is interesting about the 416wby, I figured the 338/300 RUM teamed up with Richard Graves big 300gr ULD RBBT would be a powerhouse

thanks
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.