Factory 338 RUM & 300 gr Berger?

denny07

Does anyone have experience with a factory 338 Remington Ultra Mag and the 300 gr. berger bullet? Are you able to load this bullet to a C.O.L. that works through the magazine, and maintain 1 moa accuracy. I am looking for a load development starting point. How far are you seating this bullet off the lands? Any information regarding cartridge overall length , powder brand, powder charge,will be appreciated. If the 300 gr. berger won't work through the factory magazine, can you recommend a high BC hunting bullet that will? I have tried berger bullets in 3 other rifles with only 1 of the 3 shooting them accurately.My barrel and I thank you.

Is that because it cuts down on case capacity, or because the bullets to far from the rifling? Berger Says that because of the Hybrid design the bullet is not real sensitive to seating depth.

I shoot 300 SMK's out of my .338 RUM XCR. The Bergers are longer yet and I must single load with the SMK. I think that my COAL is pushing 3.9 or so, otherwise Im crushing a ton of powder. They shoot great out of my gun though.
Im gonna switch to the bergers when Im done these couple boxes, I just cant ignore a B.C of .891.
There are better choices for close range than the Bergers as they tend to fragment easily (which is why they make a good LR hunting bullet).
The 225 TTSX and Accubond are both good choices. They have pretty decent B.C's and can be chucked out at about 3300fps. I run both in my rifle.
I zero the turrets for the 300's but walk around with the turrets dialed below zero... to my 225 zero.This allows my to make quick shots out to 450 yards with mill-dots, and use the 300's for long bombin'. I have found that even some 250's start to crush powder, so If you wanna fit the mag I would stay with the 225's.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.