.338 M.O.A.G. (mother of all guns) pics and story

Thanks for the posts 4k.
We knew if we were going to spot our own shots and not loose our teeth that this gun would have to be heavy. I absolutely would not want to fire this cartridge in any gun lighter than 15 pounds! It generates about 6000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, so you know it would hurt on both ends.
We actually wanted a brake, and thought it was understood that we ordered one, but when it showed up-no brake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Oh well, it may not need it anyway being so heavy. It is too late now anyway because it would cost more than the brake just to send it to N. Carolina and back!

Oh my god....Good thing the family has a bonus comin in April /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Man, I need to stay away from this place!

Awesome Rig GG.

Goodgrouper,

The 300 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullets are listed at $70.00/100 bullets Canadian pricing. THis is also 2004 prices so you would have to contact Richard for current pricing.

In my Kahn the Sierra Mk would average right at 1 3/4" for three shots at 500 yards, the Wildcat ULD averaged about 1 1/3" so there was a noticable difference in my rifle at least. Makes the slight extra cost well worth it in my opinion.

244938.jpg

244946.jpg

This is really the only sign that the APS V-Block rifle is not a conventionally bedded rifle, the three mounting screw holes in the forend. All screws behind are simply dummy screws that do nto contact anything.

260525.jpg

As you can see there is nothing to tell this is not a conventionally bedded rifle. The main reason I designed this system was to keep the scope low on the receiver, I just could never get consistant without a solid cheek weld. As this system sits right now using a conventional one piece base, Burris Signature rings with +20 moa's in the inserts, the 16x SS will zero from 100 yards to 2200 yards easily. That with a few moa's clearance on both ends as I feel a scope gets very inconsistant when at either extreme end of its adjustment range.

260527.jpg

Well as you can see the stock is a different model, mine is teh Tooley BMR 1000 model. Barrel is a 1.350" Striaght cylinder Lilja with heavy 50 BMG Flutes for looks mainly.

Rifle weight ready to shoot is 26 lbs.

I load the 300 gr Wildcat to 3050 fps which is a pretty comfortable load. In fact I have only neck sized my brass and they are on their 6 loading right now. Very comfortable load.

The 350 gr load is a bit hotter driving this huge bullet to right at 2800 fps. WIth a .975 b.c. that isn't to bad. Still need to test it at 1000 yards to get a little more accurate idea of b.c. and consistancy.

260531.jpg

Here are the two big Wildcat ULDs. On the left is a 225 gr Speer Boattail SP for size comparision, the 300 gr ULD RBBT "hunting" bullet is next and then the big 350 gr ULD RBBT. The little guy on the right is a 140 gr 7mm Accubond again for size comparisions.

Good Shooting, great looking rifle!!

Kirby Allen(50)

GG - That rifle rocks!

Too bad about the pink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Maybe the next one will have flames on it instead!

I'd love to have something that shoots that accurate at long distance, but with the weight, I couldn't use it for big game hunting in Idaho since we can only hunt with a gun that weighs less than 16 lbs.

You will have less problems with that rifle than with a woman for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are you bringing that rifle to Twin Falls?

[ QUOTE ]
You bet! That's the only reason were going to Twin. We got a spot on some private property to attempt the VHA 2000 yard club. I can't wait!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you know, The wife and I are prepared to spend the night in Twin to visit with you. Gonehuntingagain would probably make the pilgrimage as well. As much as I would like to shoot with you I would be very content to be allowed to simply go as a spectator for this event. If there is no room for spectators just say the word. I will still meet with you ( I'd be a fool to miss the opportunity to have someone clean my gun for a change) but I can just as easily go to the south hills to find other chucks. But watching a 2000+ yard shot would be sooo coool. No pressure though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You guys are more than welcome to come and watch <font color="red"> or </font> shoot. There aren't too many close range opportunities in this spot, but if you have some guns to go out about 800 yards plus, by all means bring them along! We also don't go for kill count this time of the year so as not to exterminate them before they reproduce, so it might bore you if you're into body count.

7mmrhb, Brian b, and myself will be there for sure, and IdahoPreacher might come too. It should be a GREAT time to shoot the bull!

If you only knew what crappy luck I have seeing animals to shoot. I couldn't do a reasonable "body count" with the entire history of my hunting experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif OK maybe it ain't that bad but if even one successful shot is taken by anybody I consider it a fun day. You can't really bore me if I'm outdoors and there are guns and shooters around.

You have my email addy so keep me posted on the plans and location as your plans settle into place. I am going to have my friend in twin look at some shooting opportunities in Eden Id just east of twin. A customer of mine last week said that if you can find rocks you will find chucks there. You might have your TF contact help you find a place there as well for some other time of the year.

Oh my goodness, are you sure you didn't get this at an estate sale of Andre the Giants gun collection?

The brass cetainly is shiny. Looking at yours and Kirby rifles, I'm glad you guys don't have gaudy guns. Gaudy guns make me nervous. A friend at work went to the gun shop where my Weatherby Accumark 338/378 is with anther on display. He said, "That's not a normal looking gun." I just laughed and gave him my best Charlie Manson grin. What worries me is the thought of having a gun like that and showing up at the range and NOT shooting good groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I can see you and Kirby needn't worry about that one.

At some time I'd like to hear the merits of these two calibers: 338 Lapua improved and 338 Kahn. To level the playing field camber pressures should be included with loads and velocities. You've got a 1 1/2" barrel advantage over Kirby. My present understanding is that the Lapua gives up slight velocity advantage for better consistancy. I believe it will take awhile to work up the data for this, but I think quite afew people will be interested in seeing what occurs. Also perhaps others can relate their exprience with this?

Fiftydriver, Is that a remington action on your gun, the pictures are a little unclear on my computer, and are you running the the 378 case full length? If so those are great results from that action/case size combination. Im not critisizing, just getting ideas. I am also wondering how you attached the barrel block to the bottom of the barrel? Do the screws go through the block and sandwich it between the stock and the barrel or is it permently attached to one or the other? And I assume that you have to remove the bolt for cartridge feeding?

Thanks, LiteTac

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.