.338 M.O.A.G. (mother of all guns) pics and story

Thats a sweeeet setup dude!! The colors aint bad once you look at it for a few minutes. I can only wish to have something like that one day to play with! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I cant wait to see some more pics from longer ranges.

Litetac,

Yes it has a Rem 700 Long action. For some reason the pics are a little grainy, don't know why, I may take some better ones and post them.

The 378 Wby and Lapua case size are max I will build on a Rem 700 receiver and then only using Chrome Moly receivers, no stainless one. The Chrome Moly is harder and will resist bolt lug set back much better then a stainless receiver will.

Also, I researched the Wby MkV to see how much baring and shear area there was on teh nine lugs on the bolt. In my experience, if there are 7 of the nine lugs in full contact you are doing very well with a Wby MkV receiver.

With a Rem 700 that has been properly set up and bolt lugs trued and lapped to 100% contact, the baring and shear area of these two receivers is very close to the same, in fact I have seen many Wby receivers with only 6 lugs solidly in contact to the receiver and in these cases, the Rem actually has more baring and shear area on the bolt lugs.

The V-Block is inlayed permanently into the stock and two or three mounting bolts pass through the block and are threaded into the barrel. Many will frown at this but to be honest, Hollnad has been using a somewhat similiar system for years and it works very well.

I have yet to see any disadvantage as far as accuracy goes using this system, in fact I personally feel the barrel is able to more consistanty expand and contract when it heats up compared to a clamp on block system.

This system also allow the scope to be mounted in a conventional height and is much more comfortable to shoot, again in my opinion.

It is also much less costly to build as machining time is much less.

As far as performance goes I have never pushed the Wby case until the primers let loose. I can get 3050 fps easily with a 300gr ULD bullet with very comfortable loads and 2800 with the 350 gr ULD bullets. Anything more then this and your pushing this case harder then it needs to be pushed, at least in a 34" barrel.

Another advantage to this system is that youonly need to remove the three 1/4-28 tpi bolts and the rifle can be taken down so it is very simply. IT is also extremely consistant when replacing the barreled action as point of impact rarely shifts from this. I still fully recommend check your zero when doing so though but seldom will it change.

I lengthened the bolt throw on the Rem 700 so that with the throat in my rifle, I can eject live rounds loaded with the 300 gr ULD and the 350 gr ULD Wildcat bullets.

This is a single shot rifle so there are no feeding issues at all to deal with.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,
thanks for the information, i am considering building a 338 lapua improved as a repeater carry rifle (under 17#s) and the shorter OAL will work better in the remington for a repeater.

Goodgrouper, I cant wait to see this rifle shoot!

Thanks,

LiteTac

LiteTac,
after shooting this 52# .338M.O.A.G. most of the day today if you are planing on making a carry gun in this chambering at 17# you had better plan on the M.O.A.Muzzle Brakes or be prepared for the beating of a red headed stepchild.
B
p.s. goodgrouper should be posting pic's soon of the days adventure

The MOAG has about 11 lbs of recoil energy. This is similar to my .308 win Rem VLS.

Reduce the weight to the same weight as my VLS (10.7 lbs) and the recoil energy is about 50 lbs. This is more than a 460 WBY mag fired from a sporter weight (8-9 lbs) rifle.

This is not a good idea. But do what cha' like.

Thanks for the warning, a very good muzzle brake is part of the plan. It may stay as a non improved 338 Lapua. I do shoot my 8.5lb 300 ultra without a brake so I do know some about recoil, on second thought, maybe it has affected my brain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LiteTac

Here is the recoil calculator I used. It is posted in Klinkers post in the ballistics thread at the top of bullets bbls and ballistics.

Don't forget to include the powder weight as this is also weight moving forward with the bullet. Leave the powder at its default setting for smokeless rifle powder.

Have fun.

4ked horn,

I tried the recoil calculator and came up with different #s.
A 9.5 lb 460 wby came to 119lbs which is what I have also read. My 300 ultra at 8.5 came to 40.4 and a 338 lapua imp, 17lbs, 300gr bullet, 115gr powder at 3000ft/sec came to 38.7. The same 338 at 10.5.lbs is 62.7. Half of the 460 wby. A 17lb 338 seems totally usable to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. A muzzle brake should tame recoil that much more.

Thanks for the link.

LiteTac

I stand corrected.

I ran some very rough numbers for the .308 and the .338 but did not run any for the .460 wby. The number I was using for the WBY was what I thought I remembered reading years ago. I would have sworn it was 40 ft/lbs.

Oops.

Well that is a shining example of why I check any info given to me from others before spending money or loading powder. I'm glad I posted the link. We both learned from my mistake.

Thanks for responding with the correction.

Hey, no problem. I just thought that there were way too many 338 lapuas out there to be that severe on recoil. I mean, its not a 22lb barrett model 99 50 cal. by any means! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks again for the link.

LiteTac

Goodgrouper

Just refreshing my memory on the setup. You have a 36" barrel on it and are only pushing the Sierra's 3000fps?

What powder are you using? Have you done any pressure testing with the Oehler 43 on it?

Just curious because you have the Improved version and a 36" barrel and i got The Plain version and 30" barrel and am fairly close on velocity to you and bras life has been good. I won't say they are on light side but not heavy either as i have 5-6 loadings on my brass and primers are still tight.

Yeah, a 36" barrel and 300 MK's at a touch over 3000 using 96 grains of RL25. Very cool load. No pressure. Of course, we were warned about that big BAT hiding pressure because it is so **** tight and strong.

I have not performed any test with the Oehler 43 yet, just the Oehler 35. Coming soon......

Goodgrouper

Steve Shelp on this board and BR central probably has done more work with the 338 AI than anyone I know. He started me in mine.

Two things that he has always stressed when using the 300 SMKs..

1. Trimming metplats

2. Sorting by base to ogive. Sierra has gotten better in last two years, but my current box of 500 went into about 6 different groups over a .010 spread. at distances that will effect POI.

BH

BountyHunter,
We have trimmed meplat's and sorted bullets from base to ogive but from talking to people yesterday from California to North Carolina the concencus is that base to ogive measurements are worthless as teets on a boar pig that the measurement that is significant is bearing surface,so now we have a bearing surface comparator on the way to see if this sorts things out better than base to ogive,keep you posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.