.338 M.O.A.G. (mother of all guns) pics and story

Fiftydriver, any chance of seeing your rifle barrel out of the stock. Pics of the stock inletting would be great too.

I have been playing with bedding under the barrel out a ways on a my 35" RUM. Finally figured out a way to get good bedding. What a pain?

Was having pretty poor results but it seems 240gr MK CAN blow up during flight. Reworking all the loads but switched to 220grMk. Groups have improved because there are now holes on the paper. Bizarre.

I am really concerned that there is so much sorting needed with the Sierra bullets. For a match bullet that is pretty pricey, loosing 50% due to some manf variations gets me very concerned.

I thought buying them in the same lot was good enough. Vertical stringing has been plaguing my RUM. Maybe bullets have something to do with my problems.

When the weather dries up a bit more, I will get out and finalize some loads with the 220grMK. Then I will have to try some other bullets. The Nosler 200gr Accubond should be well made (?).

All of a sudden bullets from a custom manf that can be used 100% aren't so expensive.

Jerry

PS a little slow about this but what is the 'point' of trimming meplats?

Oh boy,
Wait till you guys get to see the new MOAR (mother of all rests)! It is finished and we will be testing it and taking pics of it at an upcoming 850 yard dynamite golfball shoot this weekend! It is <font color="blue">HUUUUGE! </font> We might even start taking orders if anyone likes it, I know I do!

The poor pedestals and our previously altered Benchmaster were sweating under all that weight of the MOAG, but this new rest could hold up my truck!

OK forkie, as promised, here is the Mother of all Rests!

This is a side shot of the rest. It has two front positions for the pedestal top. ONe for the MOAG and one closer for every other gun! It can be raised with coarse adjustments in the front, fine in the rear, and super coarse by lifting the entire middle bar and pushing a rest pin through several holes in the center bar allowing it to hold a rifle rock steady at 45 degrees or more! Oh, and yes, that is a **** 50 bmg behind the MOAG but the MOAG shot circles around it at 900 yards. Maybe the 50 needs one of these rests!
bestsidemoar.jpg

Here is a pic of the front. The legs can be also moved up or down for more adjustment or for leveling.
frontmoar.jpg

This is the rear cradle which takes ALL the recoil out of the MOAG. It anchors any rifle down with it's 45 pound weight. You can actually now watch the big 300 grain bullet fly from the muzzle all the way out to the target with ease. The 50 hours fabrication time that Brian B and our machinist had into it definetly paid off!
backofmoar.jpg

With this rest, Brian B and I were able to fire 45 rounds in a dynamite shoot this past weekend with no more than 2 inches of vertical spread at 900 yards. The big downfall to super magnum cartridges with long barrels is known as the "magnum effect" and it was a problem before the creation of this rest. But now, the magnum high or low flyers have been eliminated allowing us to see the full potential of this potent round!

BIG. Definately big. I think that would be a dang cool rest to have. Could I talk you into posting a picture or two showing the cross pin going through the center bar with the whole thing holding the gun up at a steeper angle?

[ QUOTE ]
BIG. Definately big. I think that would be a dang cool rest to have. Could I talk you into posting a picture or two showing the cross pin going through the center bar with the whole thing holding the gun up at a steeper angle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-oh, I think I see another project coming up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4ke'y,
I would have a hard time duplicating this rest,it took me twisting the arms of several different friend's to help me fabricate this rest ( the two front elevation rests were machined by a bicycle guru after his son's first birthday party) (Duncan the alaskan stud) the main body was machined by 7mmbrh's brother. the bird ShXXXX't welds are mine and the good weld's were were done by the MADMAN (Icehouse guzzler)and the back rest was a piece of work by Robert Kirkham. THANK YOU all and Good Night Now.
B

GG -- why dont you put rails on that thing?? It would track much better and let you shoot a follow up quicker?

Hart makes a set of cnc'ed aluminum rails that work well on the HBR stock.

JMO,
JB

That is definitley one smooth rest guys! Did I read 45 pounds of weight somewhere? That would put the total M.O.A.G and M.O.A.R weight at 100 pounds wouldn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Wheww thats heavy! It still is a great setup though! Thanks for the pics!!

Big Al. Your "spidey sence" should be burning a hole in your forehead right now. With your welder for the "SH@#$%'T" welds like Brian made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and Mike for the good welds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, Bills design genius (for any needed unforseen design adjustment), my ability to "machine that which cannot be machined" and "The Metal Supermarket" just down the road?

**** straight you see another project coming up. Faster than next deer season.

[ QUOTE ]
and Mike for the good welds

[/ QUOTE ]
As I recall, his last welds on the swingers broke with a few shots from your wife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

We better make 2 of that fancy rest!

GG and Brian - Outstanding rest!
Let 4ked and I know how you made it. 4ked is a machinist (if he can find a machine to use). Either that or maybe I can get one of my relatives to machine whatever needs to be done.

[ QUOTE ]
As I recall, his last welds on the swingers broke with a few shots from your wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

She has a habit of doing that dosen't she. Keep in mind that he (or Bill) welded them up after they broke from using Curts machine. Your welder has yet to be tested by the wrath of her Mini 14.

[ QUOTE ]
We better make 2 of that fancy rest!

[/ QUOTE ]

That outer, center section is what I will have to think about. It looks like they machined it to be a close fit and that is a lot of metal to remove. It might be a while before I'm ready. I have to get some brass and powder pretty soon. The deer load for this year has to come first.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.