.338 Lapua thoughts

wolverine99

Hey guys,
Well I am a hooked rifle hunter now. I was archery and then built a 6.5 284 this spring, after some imput from a friend that shoots better and further than I can ever hope, and there is no looking back. The think shoots good to 500 but shoots great to 1000. Now I am wanted to build something a little bigger, the .338 lapua. Just wondering what you would suggest for barrel brand and type etc.. It will be a hunting rig sometime so trying to keep in 12 to 14 pounds.

What is your usage thoughts on the Lapua? The 6.5 will shoot a good bit farther than 1000 & cost less doing it, now don't get me wrong I have a 338 & I love it (just prepped some brass this morning) just trying to establish a base line for conversation. Do you reload? If you don't the Lapua is going to put a serious dent in your pocket book.... are you looking at going the custom rifle route (you should for the Lapua)? Give us some more info & we'd be MORE than happy to provide info.

Good shooting. gun)

Outlaw, I know the 6.5 is good for 1000+ but you know boys with there toys ha ha ha. I do reload and have looked into the cost of the lapua. It will be a custom gun, talked to the smith the other day about actions and bottom metal etc. Just trying to narrow down barrel lenght and brand, sounds like a 1 and 10 for twist. This will be another elk gun for me. I know it will be heavy and don't need to have the lapua but I want one just the same. The 6.5 is great just want something with more juice.

I got you there, I seem to suffer from the same complex :D. Jump on the Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics thread & look around, several guys are right where you are right now, LOTS of good info from our guys. If you ever intend to play wit hthe 300's (like all 338 guys) then 1-10 is a must (the new Savages are 1-9 from what I hear) but 1-10 is what I use & am pleased. Grab a bbl from one of the many reputable manufacturers out there, Kreiger, Hart, Lilja, Shilen (Select Match), Brux, Broughton.... (writers cramp....lol) 28"-30" seems to be the most common length although I am beginning to wonder about the validity... I'm using a 26" Select match on my 338RUM pushing the 300SMK to an average of 2780fps with Retumbo & getting multiple firings out of my brass.

Anywho... keep us postedgun)

The 338's are nice. I have an edge and I love it.

It you have lots of money than go with the lapua, if you dont and still want a 338 than go for an Edge, you will be very happy with either.

#7 taper (or simular), 28"-30", and 9" twist to handle the high bc bullets that are current and comming.

Steve

I know you're talking about a full custom, but have you considered a Sako TRG 42? Euro Optic is selling the black stocked "matte metal" finish model for as low as $2250 right now... a freaking unbelievable steal. I paid $2900 for my green stocked phosphate finish model several months ago and am pleased as pie (that model is $2600 now).

Weight for the bare rifle is 11 3/4 pounds, 27 1/4" barrel, and it will shoot with any custom for probably way less money at those prices. Just something to think about! I had a custom before getting my TRG and I'm not looking back...

Sako TRG 42 338 Lapua - BLOWOUT starting at $2250 - Sniper's Hide Forums

Edit to Add - All of the newer TRGs are 1:10" twist. I know they used to be 1:12" and many people still knock them not knowing they've long since changed. Mine spits out 300 SMKs very nicely.

Thanks for the input guys. The 6.5 has a krieger and very pleased with it so I may order another one. I was thinking a 26" barrel before the break. Would the extra 2" for a 28" be worth it?

That is a great deal on the sako but if I go the custom route I can pick up the pieces a little at a time when i see them.

Thats all for the info. Where would a good starting load be. I have a keg of retumbe for my 6.5 now but will feed it whatever it needs

I have a Savage 110 BA in .338 Lapua and I love it. I put a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce NXT and it shoots great. I went down to Idaho and shot with Shaun and Bob Carlock at Defensive Edge this summer and they were shooting their new .338 Edge Plus P rifle. I don't profess to know a ton about this round, but I saw it shoot and I was impressed. My shooting partner was impressed enough to sell his Edge and buy the Plus P. Maybe look at this as an option for yourself.

Been shooting the 338 Lapua or a variant for 20 years and would not trade any of my rifles built for it for another. The rifle is large enough to hunt anything I will hunt on this continent plus mine are very accurate to say the least!!

Hey guys,
Well I am a hooked rifle hunter now. I was archery and then built a 6.5 284 this spring, after some imput from a friend that shoots better and further than I can ever hope, and there is no looking back. The think shoots good to 500 but shoots great to 1000. Now I am wanted to build something a little bigger, the .338 lapua. Just wondering what you would suggest for barrel brand and type etc.. It will be a hunting rig sometime so trying to keep in 12 to 14 pounds.
There's a heck of a deal on a Remington 700P .338 Lapua on the classifieds section that would be worthy of a look. Heck of a decent asking price for a ready to go tack driver.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...00-police-sniper-rifle-700p-price-drop-76527/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.