338 lapua redding neck sizing dies?

supercrossbmx69

I was in search of 338 lapua dies until I ran into some redding neck sizing dies and bought them with out even realizing they were neck sizing dies. I have never used neck sizing dies and don't even know they're purpose. Can you guys help me out here? I talked to a few long range shooters about they're input on these dies and one told me I would be fine with what I have as long as I do not plan on using my Brass in 2 different rifle because the brass would form to my rifles chamber and another person told me I'd have to buy a body die to push the shoulder back to spec. Help please and thank you!!!

I would recommend ordering a body die. I load with redding neck dies, and still use the body die to bump the shoulders back ~2 thou every time I load them. You can use the neck dies alone, but I have found that it is not ideal for accuracy (you are essentially eliminating all headspace). Eventually, cases will be difficult to chamber abd you will need to FL size anyway. I have found a using the body die allows me to solve both of these issues (and they are reasonable $).

Yea they're reasonably prices but **** near impossible to find! I've done a little research on these dies and kept coming across a bushing? Do these dies require some sort of bushing that the die set does not come with ?

Ha! Everything is **** near impossible to find. Redding has both bushing and non-bushing neck dies. The bushings allow you to tailor your dies to the minimum amount of neck sizing needed - you can refine your neck tension and avoid overworking your brass. It is basically a little cylinder that acts as a removable "neck portion" of the die. Imagine a FL die that ends at the top of the shoulder, and you can connect a custom top on it to constrict the neck however you want.

Do you have a box with a set # on it? If not, what is stamped on the die itself? Someone here (maybe even me) might be able to tell you, or you can email Redding direct as their tech service is top-notch.

Or, take the upper assembly off the die and stick a piece of brass in the bottom. If the neck doesn't get compressed, it is a bushing die! If you need your press to get it to go in, non-bushing!

I have a body die I might trade for a car, or your kids or something . . . Or, maybe the most valuable commodity known to the common man - 22LR. Crazy times.

I use a Redding Type SBushing die for my .338 Lapua. Basicially you are able to control the amount of neck tension your rounds will have. You do this by selecting a larger or smaller bushing. Also you can size any portion of the neck or all of the neck to further prolong brass life. I like mine. I got the coated bushings so I dont have to lube my necks before sizing, I also removed the expander ball and do not use it.

I have a body die and would recomend picking one up. After about 5 or so firings you will find the brass hard to chamber. This is when it's time to run them through the body die which in essence will be like a full legnth size. Now with a body die and the proper tools you can choose to just bump the shoulder back just enough so they chamber.

By using the bushing die and anealing my brass (Lapua) about every 5 firings, I am at about 15 reloads so far.

Check this link on how to select the proper bushing size.
Bushing Selection | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.