338 Lapua loads

bob270win

Hey Everyone , new to Long Range Hunting , but not new to long range hunting.gun) Been watching this beautiful coues now season after season. What a wiley ol buck , just keeps himself 600-700 yards out and moving away! Bought a Rem 700 in 338 Lapua to give myself a chance of tagging him . I'm going to reload the cartridge with 250 gr Scenar , Lapua brass , Fed 215M primers and Retumbo powder. I've got a good idea of the Min and Max powder loads for this cartridge . Just wondering if anyone has done enough working loads with other powders and if I could get your recipes.

Hi Bob,

Never used Retumbo in the 338 LM, but I've burned up a lot of H1000 in there. Very accurate combination, though I suspect the Retumbo might give better velocity. Also had very good results with N570 in this combination. Both very accurate and extremely high velocity potential.

Hope that helps!

Hey Everyone , new to Long Range Hunting , but not new to long range hunting.gun) Been watching this beautiful coues now season after season. What a wiley ol buck , just keeps himself 600-700 yards out and moving away! Bought a Rem 700 in 338 Lapua to give myself a chance of tagging him . I'm going to reload the cartridge with 250 gr Scenar , Lapua brass , Fed 215M primers and Retumbo powder. I've got a good idea of the Min and Max powder loads for this cartridge . Just wondering if anyone has done enough working loads with other powders and if I could get your recipes.

I wouldn't use the Scenar on game, they seem to be far to hard & don't expand.

They are a very accurate, well built bullet, perfect for long range target shooting, you can push them hard & they don't mind :)

H1000 would probably be a better powder to use than Retumbo.

I agree, I would not use the Scenar for hunting. The 300 gr SMK or Berger is a good choice though. My 700P has been shooting decent with RL25. I am getting 2660 fps with the 300 SMK.

If you are shooting under 800 yards and want to get there fast and flat the 225 accubond is a good choice. My wife shot a monster mulie at 516 yards this year with that bullet going around 3340 fps. I can get you that load if you want it. It is very accurate out of a 26" barrel.

I shot an elk in October with my Lapua shooting a 250 grain Sierra GameKing. The shot was 1/4 faceing shot at about 250 yards. As soon as it hit the animal went down. After giving it a minute we walked up to it and it proceeded to get up and walk about 20 yards where it laid down.

After dressing the animal we found the bullet in the off-side hide. It hit a rib and mushroomed perfectly, the animial absorbed 100% of the energy. I'd be a little afraid of using the SMK's on elk due to their endurance. As per deer the SMK would probably be ok.

Jason

I have a McWhorter Custom .338 Lapua Mag. with a Stiller Predator Action, Krieger fluted barrel, and Jewel Trigger, on a McMillan Stock. I am currently shooting Nosler 225 Grain Accubonds with 92 Grains of V560 powder. I am getting 3280fps and can get consistent 2.5 " groups at 800 yards. Hope this helps...

I just tried the Hornady 250 HPBT's and found a load that averages .46 MOA. 85.5 grains of H4831SC seems to be the ticket. The Hornady match bullets seem to do better than the Sierra's which is not what I expected.

I appreciate all the responses I have received regarding the 338 Lapua. I have loaded 4 loads with Retumbo w/ the 250Ggr Scenar . 96.0; 96.5 ; 97.0 and 97.5. All those were shot at 100 yds. They all showed no signs of excessive pressure ( inspecting all aspects of the brass after each shot ) My rifle likes the 97.5 loads the best , a 3 shot group of .75 inch. I'll keep on working that particular load and going out to 200 yds, at the same time I've loaded 98 grs to see the pressure aspects of that load. Don't have a chronograph yet , I dont think that will be an issue yet !:)

I appreciate all the responses I have received regarding the 338 Lapua. I have loaded 4 loads with Retumbo w/ the 250Ggr Scenar . 96.0; 96.5 ; 97.0 and 97.5. All those were shot at 100 yds. They all showed no signs of excessive pressure ( inspecting all aspects of the brass after each shot ) My rifle likes the 97.5 loads the best , a 3 shot group of .75 inch. I'll keep on working that particular load and going out to 200 yds, at the same time I've loaded 98 grs to see the pressure aspects of that load. Don't have a chronograph yet , I dont think that will be an issue yet !:)

Just because your group size at 100yds. is 0.75" doesn't mean that it wont be tighter down range. Some loads take some time for them to stabilize depending on your barrel, twist rate, muzzle velocity, etc. Try shooting a specific load at different distances first before switching loads. You definitely want to exhaust all possibilities. You might be pleasantly surprised...

Never said I was expecting a tighter group at 200 yards , I'm fully aware that this particular load might not print well beyond 100 yds. If the load gives me a 1.5 inch group I will be pleasantly surprized. What I did say was that my rifle liked the 97.5 gr load more than the others it spit out that day ! And you are right , it is going to take a lot of range time to find that optimum load at extreme distances. See you at the range !gun)

I shoot 92.0 grains of N560, federal 215's, 225 gn accubonds, and a muzzle velocity of 3280fps. This recipe shoots too sweet 0.25MOA or better... Actually got 2.5" groups at 800 & 4.5" groups at 1000yds.

Thanks for the info on the N560, I'm hoping to run across some N570 in the near future. I'm finding out it's a hard find. Till I use up this Retumbo , I'll continue to use it , and let you know how it prints in the next county.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.