338 Lapua Imp. 40 degree Loads

Keep a close eye on pressure, the 338's ive developed were 40* with very minimal body taper, depending on your reamer design you might not reach our speeds.

I just got back from the range. Looking good so far. Formed about 40 rounds. Accuracy looks good with the fire forming loads. I ran 85.5 grains of H4831sc with 250smk. I just threw the charges and didn't trickle them so probably as much as a .5gr variance and it was still holding a good 3/4 moa at 400yd. Only issue was a couple lite strikes and that was my fault for not getting the bullets up against the lands form enough or I didn't seat the primers all the way. I pulled those rounds and reloaded them. Looking forward.to getting intonthe actual load development. It looks promising.

That's why I like the 250's as well. They are super fast and flat inside 1000 or so and since this is primarily a hunting rifle that's what I'm after. I may have to snag some more berger 250's. I just loaded up the 40 or so that I had to fire form with.
Check scheels. I saw some 250 bergers there on a shelf.

@Marine sniper how did that ELDX hold together? I have really contemplated moving to the 270 gr. with the improved case 3100 - 3200 is attainable.
Held up well, I lost the darn bullet after digging it out of the elk. Short story is about 3 feet of penetration. Hit a rib on the way in (about mid way in the rib cage and went all the way back to the hips and broke the spin there. I have have good luck with them- testing the 265 Accubond soon. The 280 LRX Barnes was accurate as well.

@Marine sniper Thanks for the response, I have had great luck with the smaller ELDx bullets in various calibers, good to hear the reports from you. I may just have to pick up a box or two to test someday. (the cycle never ends 😃 )
That is for sure! I have it narrowed down between the 270 ELD-X and 265 Accubond. I just don't trust Bergers on shots where placement is not the best. I have killed a couple of elk with them and have not been impressed, sometime they are awesome- and sometimes not so much.

That is for sure! I have it narrowed down between the 270 ELD-X and 265 Accubond. I just don't trust Bergers on shots where placement is not the best. I have killed a couple of elk with them and have not been impressed, sometime they are awesome- and sometimes not so much.
I have been wondering about the 250 Berger and performance on game. I ended up finding these at Graffs the other day it took the better part of a month to show up but they were finally on my doorstep today.

Attachments

• BA4E90DA-4CC7-4731-BBD9-107586821FFD.jpeg
    BA4E90DA-4CC7-4731-BBD9-107586821FFD.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.