30-338 lapua imp

Steve
Believe me, I've had the lid off the box!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I'm looking to knock down the walls!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I'm just stating that it's a different direction is all.
I'm trying to wish you luck!! and I'm very interested in your out come! I've seen several of these super gun ideas posted on this board over the years and very few work out!

I enjoyed pushing the envelope and still do! I also enjoy others success as well, I'm not in a box I can see clearly!!
I also know people who have went to far!! and are missing body parts!

If your so sure of everything why not use the 8 twist like you were stating? Is it because you don't have money to burn?
Your not sure it will work? you stated that you could go back to the "proven load with 200 grn! All I was saying is thats the way most end up going after going the direction your headed!

Once again "GOOD LUCK" Please keep us posted on the GOOD and BAD it's all very interesting.

The lapua case is great to work with and holds up well but it is still brass and expensive at that.

If your in need of a few necked down cases for your testing or fire form to make dies please say so I'll gladly send you a few to help you out of the "BOX".

PS. I think the Future bullets will be PT's and they will NOT be "light" for cal, remember don't just peek out go full force!!

CAM

Chawlston

Tinkerers!! good one!
How about this tinkering?
The .30-378 Weatherby Magnum is a new chambering as factory rifles go but it has been around for over three decades. During the 1960s, the U.S. Military contracted Roy Weatherby to see how fast a bullet could be pushed from a shoulder-fired rifle.

Roy simply necked down his .378 Magnum case to .30 caliber, seated special 30-grain bullets made by Vernon Speer atop heavy charges of powder, and exceeded 5000 fps. Some time later other wildcatters used an experimental powder to exceed 6000 fps with the same cartridge.

If your on the fringes of 30 year old info or are you on the fringes of modern day? must be way over 6K by now!!
When you "tinkerers" go past 6000 FPS please post your load!!

link to whole story
http://www.inextinc.com/hunting/publications.html

Its only money and others have done it 30 frigin years ago, so whats the problem?? tinker away!!

CAM

[ QUOTE ]
Chawlston

Tinkerers!! good one!
How about this tinkering?
The .30-378 Weatherby Magnum is a new chambering as factory rifles go but it has been around for over three decades. During the 1960s, the U.S. Military contracted Roy Weatherby to see how fast a bullet could be pushed from a shoulder-fired rifle.

Roy simply necked down his .378 Magnum case to .30 caliber, seated special 30-grain bullets made by Vernon Speer atop heavy charges of powder, and exceeded 5000 fps. Some time later other wildcatters used an experimental powder to exceed 6000 fps with the same cartridge.

If your on the fringes of 30 year old info or are you on the fringes of modern day? must be way over 6K by now!!
When you "tinkerers" go past 6000 FPS please post your load!!

link to whole story
http://www.inextinc.com/hunting/publications.html

Its only money and others have done it 30 frigin years ago, so whats the problem?? tinker away!!

CAM

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam,

My fellow, you have jumped the gun (probably a lot). The 30/378 is one of my cases but it is by no means on the fringe. I am only testing the 265 grain wildcats in mine. What are you shooting in yours?

You speak as if you have experience with the 338 Lapua. I was using custom made 338 Snyper (338 Lapua) cases prior to factory cases with headstamps being available. Heck, I even sold over a thousand to the US State Department for their sniper evaluation and training teams as well as the Air Force Special Operations group for some testing they were conducting for hostage rescue operations. I acutally was disappointed when the factory 338 Lapua cases came out. We had been selling the custom made cases for $3.00 a piece up to the birth of the headstamped cases. Anyway, the factory cases don't hold a candle to the custom cases.

BTW, we have been playing with the 338 Lapua case and similar size cases for over 16 years in both 338 and 30 caliber.

James

Chawlston
I don't claim to be on the fringes!!
It sounds like maybe your more than a "TINKERER"
I would NEVER claim to know more than the masses this is just a hobbie and a sport for me, NOT A LIVING
The link is to show people have always pushed the envelope and always will, thats how things progress and improve.
New componates seems to be the key, most existing things have been pushed to the limits already.
There is always a limit to physics as you know.
As you say you been doing it for 16 years, So tell us what you have learned about light bullets and big cases.
Thats what this thread is turning towards I think!
Steve want's to load 160 grn GS bullets and push them fast!
As stated earlier I only load the heavier bullets.
I welcome the info of any improvements you have to share.

As stated earlier I've backed down on my loads, maybe just getting "old" I don't like to push things as hard as I use too. That includes fighting on a public form, It just don't interest me!! Just like pushing a bullet 6000 FPS it would do me no good, but somebody has already done it!

I rechambered my 30-378 to the 30 wolf as told earlier.
I don't make wildcats just enjoy shooting a few and learning as I go. Matter of fact I hope to get out and shoot some this weekend if the weather lets up!

Have a nice weekend.
Good shooting!
CAM

Chawlston
Missed the part about you testing the 265 grain wildcat bullets! sounds like you like heavy for cal bullets also!
Are you just tinkering with them? Do you have a BC for them?
What kind of velocity you getting? They sure are long!
CAM

I didn't pick just any smaller bullet. I did some research and found a bullet that is designed differently. It is not made out of lead, thus it longer for it's weight. I see people on this site talking all the time about shooting elk with 107grn bullets and that seems ok? I guess it must be ok because they are only going 3200fps. Or am I missing the point. It's ok because they are big for caliber. What I am talking about is a much larger bullet than that w/ a better bc, and much faster. Maybe someone wants to do the calculations. 160grn, w/ b.c. of .57, @ 3800fps muzzle. How does the energy compare @ 600 yrds w/ 6mm 107grn, b.c. of .45, w/ muzzle velocity of 3200fps. Or maybe w/ a .308 accubond 200grn w/ muzzle velocity of 3200fps. The bullet that I want to try is proven to stay together at very high velocity, yet still function down to 2000fps. If it will shoot sub moa, where have I gone wrong? The only place I can see this going wrong is if I can not get the bullet to shoot well out of my gun.

Long ways off the orriginal question, but entertaining none the less.

Steve

PS Still looking for advice on the orriginal thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Why the smaller weight bullets? mtmuley

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,

Most folk equate heavy bullets with long streamlined wind bucking bullets and this is true to some extent. However for those that have used monometal bullets like the GS or the Lost Rivers realize that to get the weight up on a monometal bullet to equal a lead core bullet, it would have to be so long that the barrel twist required would slow down the speed quite a bit. So folk who use monometal bullets tend to shoot ones that are a tad lighter than the traditional lead core bulltets, but the monometal usually (read usually) are more ballistically friendly than their lead counter parts.

Enter the new style bullets from wildcat. They are lead core, copper jacketed and aluminum tipped to achieve a high BC. Different strokes for different folks.

On the GS bullets, it would be interesting to see what could walk away from one of those after being hit with a good shot.

James

[ QUOTE ]
My new toy is back from the gun smith. On Kirby's advice I had it chambered in 30-338 lapua imp. I am going to start out loading GS 160's. I think I am going to use RL-25. I need any advice I can get on powder and starting loads. Also I need to get the appropriate dies. I have never neck sized down or expanded for the improved. So, again any advice will be much appriciated.

Thanks, Steve

PS. The barrel is 30" lilja, action is sako.

[/ QUOTE ]

Send me an email to [email protected] and we can discuss your questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.