338 Lapua Imp. 40 degree Loads

backyardsniper

I just picked up a new rifle in 338 lapua AI with the 40 degree shoulder. I'm loading up some fire forming loads now with 88gr8 of H4831sc and SMK 250s and some 250 berger. Basically burning up some partial boxes of stuff i've got laying around.
The question is when I get ready to load the actual Improved.rounds do y'all have any suggestions on powders that work particularly well in this round? I have a good supply of RL33, which I've had great luck with in the regular lapua. Also have H1000 a little Retumbo and even some Ramshot LRT. I will either run the Nosler Custom comp 300gr. which I've had really good luck with along with the RL33 in standard lapua or I'll be running the 285 ELD-M. I like the idea of that 285 and being abke.to maybe drive it a bit faster. The guy I got it from said 107.5gr of RL33 was giving him 3000fps with the 300gr Berbers. It's a 28"proof carbon barrel if that helps. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just kind of looking for some starting points or advice from some guys that run these.

That is smoking right there
Yeah, I am not sure why anyone would shoot the 300 grain bullet unless you are going to go to beyond 1500 yds. I sold the gun to a guy on the forum not sure where he ended up but I did see some pretty high velocity numbers. There are a number of people that are pushing a 300 gr berger at 3100 FPS with the +P throating from Defensive edge. I switched to a 338-300 Norma improved and will probably be knocking on the door of 3000 with the 250 which works for me.

I just picked up a new rifle in 338 lapua AI with the 40 degree shoulder. I'm loading up some fire forming loads now with 88gr8 of H4831sc and SMK 250s and some 250 berger. Basically burning up some partial boxes of stuff i've got laying around.
The question is when I get ready to load the actual Improved.rounds do y'all have any suggestions on powders that work particularly well in this round? I have a good supply of RL33, which I've had great luck with in the regular lapua. Also have H1000 a little Retumbo and even some Ramshot LRT. I will either run the Nosler Custom comp 300gr. which I've had really good luck with along with the RL33 in standard lapua or I'll be running the 285 ELD-M. I like the idea of that 285 and being abke.to maybe drive it a bit faster. The guy I got it from said 107.5gr of RL33 was giving him 3000fps with the 300gr Berbers. It's a 28"proof carbon barrel if that helps. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just kind of looking for some starting points or advice from some guys that run these.
In my regular Lapua not the improved version the best powder is N-570 but you also mentioned reloader 33 and you have some Retumbo those are my top choices for that round

I have never shot either one of those but I have 100 285's on the shelf right now to try in my Norma but the 250 Bergers shoot well enough that I may just leave them there. If you plan on shooting 250's be aware that you may not have enough case capacity to get to top working pressures with the slow powders.

Do you think if I was going to run the 250's I would be better off dropping down to something like H1000. It's a bit faster than the RL 33.
I like Retumbo myself as I said the N-570 is the best powder you get velocity and great accuracy but for a while it was hard to come by and I switch to Retumbo and I have 10 pounds of that right now so that's what I've been using H-1000 would probably work but it seems I had pressure signs with a little less velocity than Retumbo

I got ya. I've got a few pounds of retumbo but not a lot. I may give it a go. Sounds like the 285 would balance out better with the H1000 and RL33 as far as hitting max velocity before running out of capacity. I will probable try the 250s and the 285s and see which one works out. I've got the 300 nosler custom comps too.

I got ya. I've got a few pounds of retumbo but not a lot. I may give it a go. Sounds like the 285 would balance out better with the H1000 and RL33 as far as hitting max velocity before running out of capacity. I will probable try the 250s and the 285s and see which one works out. I've got the 300 nosler custom comps too.
I exclusively use the burger 250 elite hunters I have tried the 300s and they work great but the farthest I can shoot is 1250 yards the 250s are faster and flatter the 300 would really shine beyond 1500

That's why I like the 250's as well. They are super fast and flat inside 1000 or so and since this is primarily a hunting rifle that's what I'm after. I may have to snag some more berger 250's. I just loaded up the 40 or so that I had to fire form with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.