338 Lapua Barrel suggestions

Nellej12

I have a savage 110 fcp hs precision 338 lapua I want to put an aftermarket barrel on. I'm not really happy with the performance of the factory barrel. I'm looking at a Bartlein 9 to 9.5 twist but unsure on what contour, length and Brake to go with. Main use will be hunting elk out west and some target out to 1,000 yards. I'm using Berger Elite hunter 300 grain bullets.

Any suggestions on the contour, length and what brake to go with would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff

I have a savage 110 fcp hs precision 338 lapua I want to put an aftermarket barrel on. I'm not really happy with the performance of the factory barrel. I'm looking at a Bartlein 9 to 9.5 twist but unsure on what contour, length and Brake to go with. Main use will be hunting elk out west and some target out to 1,000 yards. I'm using Berger Elite hunter 300 grain bullets.

Any suggestions on the contour, length and what brake to go with would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff
With that big of a case you need to go with a long barrel, 26" bare minimum but 30-32" would be a big help.

Contour wise you probably don't want anything less than a Remington Heavy Varmint or Sendero to help with muzzle flip and Recoil.

I've got the NWP muzzle brake from Mac's Gunworks in Wyoming on two of my rum's including one that's 7.5lbs but all of mine are .300's and I don't shoot anything heavier than 220's. I also have the same on my 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan and will be putting them on the other two 375 Rugers I recently bought. I find it very effective on all of them.

My brother shoots a Savage 110 338 Lapua and after shooting my Rum's and Ruger equipped with them put one on it as well and has found it to be a heck of an improvement on the factory brake that came on it.

They make a newer brake specifically for the big boomers i have yet to try but it might be worth looking at.

https://www.macsgunworks.com/muzzle-brakes

With these big calibers - steel is your friend. The weight helps reduce felt recoil and the larger diameter barrel helps tame barrel harmonics. Each barrel maker has different names for their contours, but take a look at the medium to heavy Palma designs. I went with a 28" length to keep the gun balanced. Muzzle diameter is 0.92".

Benchmark or Bartlien barrel.
Sendero or Medium Palma.
28 to 30" length.
Fluting is your preference. I do it.

If you are not going to be carrying it. Length is your friend. To manage recoil weight is your friend.

Benchmark or Bartlien barrel.
Sendero or Medium Palma.
28 to 30" length.
Fluting is your preference. I do it.

If you are not going to be carrying it. Length is your friend. To manage recoil weight is your friend.

I ordered a Bartlein Sendero contour with 4" cyclinder. Not sure on the length I want to go. Its a 31" blank. I'll go at least 28 but leaning towards 30.

Would I gain much going to a 30" barrel? That's getting long when you add a 2.5 to 3 inch muzzle break is my only concern.

30" length with Pain Killer brake. Medium Palma, Sendero, or Varmint contour. Since you are going with the semi custom rifle I would look at a 338 Lap imp version and really get out of the cartridge what it is capable of. The 338 Lap is a very good cartridge for improving. The gain is significant.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.