338 lapua barrel lenght / powder choice

buster2765

Looking at possibly rebarreling my savage 112 magnum target to a shorter 24 inch proof research (original plan was 26). I know I will loose fps (40ish) but it would fit in my pack better, three oz lighter than there 26 inch proof. I have a McMillan game hunter ordered for this rig. I currently have two other savages in 338lm both with 26 inch barrels. I reload for them with 300gr. bergers and h-1000 & don't want to have to buy a different powder because I want a shorter barrel. I will hunt with this & absolute max would be 1200yds and that would be stretching my ethical comfort level. PS, I know I should just use a win mag but I really like my lapua.

I recently got into the.338 Lapua for long range shooting and I love it. I wanted to make the most out of the caliber so I was looking for at least 3000fps with a 250 gr. head. After many factory and hand loads I found 96 gr. of H1000 gave me 3050fps with great accuracy. 96.5 and 97 put me over 3100 fps but the group tightened considerably as I came down a little.

IMHO, you may have to play with the H1000 a little to see what the new setup likes. All of my research pointed to H1000 as the go to powder for the 338lm. I tried R33 & IMR but the H1000
performed best, for me anyway.

How do the bergers perform on game? I loaded 250gr. Sierra game king in my hunting loads
and took some hogs a couple of weeks ago in Texas. It seemed if I didn't hit bone I had 33 cai. hole in and out. I thought the soft points would be better than the match tips for expansion
VC

No experience with 300gr on game (hopefully will this fall), but do shoot whitetail with berger 180gr. out of a 7mm saum out to 600yds with excellent results. I did go with a 24 inch barrel that will be here Wednesday. H-1000 has also been my go to powder the the 338 so I have a good supply.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.