338 EDGE

HTIRCAMOWEB.JPG

There it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you EVER want to trade a Rem VLS in .308 for that thing you just say the word. I'll overnight deliver it myself.

The barrel is a # 7 conture, radial fluted, w brake. If you have a chance check out the article Jacob Gottfredson wrote on it for the Accurate Rifle magazine, it is posted at Snipers Paridise.

Shawn,
I see from the picture of the rifle on consignment that the bases and rings are also film dipped, would those items be included?
Respectfully now, would it still shoot good enogh for long range hunting and how much usable life would there be left?
Thanks.

Eaglet,

Everything but the scope, 30mm Warne vs rings and 2pc NF bases included. I would expect match quality barrel life to be another 1000-1200 rounds with a practical life of 2000+. The rifle was and still is an easy sub 1/2 moa rifle, most of the time much better.

Glad to see all the interest in the .338 edge. I took mine to oregon too show my dad and shoot some rock chucks. Killed 3 at 920 yds. hate to say but it took me 5 rounds (my range finder is only a 800 yd. model) so 2 sighters. killed many more from 450-650 yds all one shot kills with the range finder and the pda with exbal-LF program. My dad was vary impressed and had to shoot it so I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.giffound him one at 450 yds. He said it was to close I told him if he hit it I would let shoot one out further. he pulled the trigger and I wish I a camera it went 15 feet up and 20 feet all around so I had to let him shoot out to 920 and he killed one in 2 shots. It was fun day. All the kills were done with 300 smk and 94 grs. H-1000. I going to get in line to have Shawn biuld me a 260 rem. on the same format. My wife will be at Shawns LRH. class on the 23rd of july shooting the .338 edge to get her ready for moose season. I hope to shoot a mile by the end of the mouth will keep posted
thanks to Shawn for a great gun.

Well I finally got out to the range to shoot my new 338 Edge and let me say it is a shooter. I was only able to shoot 12 rounds through it today but I have to say that the first 12 rounds were very impressive. I shot a couple of rounds to confirm zero @ 100 yards then moved out to 200 yards (unfortunately my local range has a 200 yard max)

The first 5 shot group was .726"-.338"=.388" @200 yards not bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Then I locked in for the next 5 shot group and after 4 shots I was pretty excited it was a GREAT GROUP, and then I shot the 5th shot and good old "Murphy's Law" kicked in and I screwed up. Any way the end results of group 2 were 5 shots = .679"-.338"=.341" The first 4 shots of group 2 = .399"-.338"=.061" @200 yards!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope to get out to the farm this weekend and really stretch out the barrel, I will keep you posted.

Shawn will be posting a picture of group 2 here ASAP.

Thanks Shawn for a great looking and more importantly a GREAT SHOOTING gun!!!!

Oneshot

Just wanted to update everybody on the 338 Edge. I was able to get out and shoot it at the family farm a couple of weekends ago (sorry for the delay) and I am very pleased with the results.
When I arrived at my parents house it was nice a calm a little overcast. My Dad and I went out and hung a target on the 100 yard backstop and I proceeded to confirm the zero and with a cold bore first shot it was a perfect center bull, Nice! Fired a couple more resulting in a three shot group at 1/4 moa.
I then pulled out the chrony and fired a 5 shot string that averaged 2800 fps (shooting a 300 grn Match King)this is a little slower than I thought I would want, but I knew my load is on the lower end of the scale for what this case is capiable of. However I have been VERY happy with the accuracy so far and wanted to test it out at longer ranges.

So I entered all of the ballistic and weather/alltitude data into the exbal software on my Palm and we were off to the field for a little testing at Longer Ranges. Got to a good position spread out the shooting mat dropped the legs on the bipod and placed the rear bag under the buttstock and proceeded to have some fun!!

My first shot was at a rock about as big a soft ball I ranged it with my Swarovski rangefinder at 425 yards checked exbal, made a 26 click adjustment squeezed the trigger and when the bullet struck the rock it exploded! Next was a rock about the same size as the first at 550 yards added 11 more clicks for a total of 37 squeezed the trigger and got the same results as before.
Next was a rock about the size of a soccer ball at 675 yards, with 17 more clicks (54 total) and the squeeze of the trigger we had a lot of gravel (the energy delivery is awesome)!!
Now on to the 800 yard mark, agian on a rock about the size of a soccer ball made 16 more clicks for a total of 70 clicks, adjusted the bag got locked in and "yanked the trigger" (nice move slick! No Excuses! Hey I was having fun!) and hit a couple inches right of the rock in the bank.(not my best moment!) So then I decided to stop with the dumb mistakes and try doing my part by squeezing the trigger and went on to a 4 shot string of 800 yard rock smoking followed by a bunch of rock chips and gravel.

I have to say that Shawn Carlock builds one awesome rifle! I say again his customer service is second to none! I called Shawn to tell him about my results and speak to him about my load and the Chrony results and we had a few laughs about my lack of trigger control on that first 800 yarder! Shawn is just a good guy that loves to shoot is fun to talk to and can build one heck of a rifle!
He told me to go ahead and up my powder charge a bit if I wanted more velocity. However I think am going to take the "If it isn't Broke then don't fix it" approach on this one. With the gun shooting spot on with exbal, and based on the exbal ballistic data telling me that I am getting 168grn 308 muzzle energy @ 1000 yards I think I will leave well enough alone. Next trip I will take more time and put it on paper at the longer ranges and post a picture of the results.

Thanks again Shawn for a great Long Range Hunting Rifle I can't wait till deer season!

Oneshot

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.