338 EDGE

WHEATHER FINALLY GETTING NICE TOOK OUT THE EDGE BLEW OFF THE DUST. LOADED SOME AMMO HEADED TO THE RANGE SHOOT SOME SUB MOA. GROUPS AT 300 YDS WITH SIERRA 250 SPBT AT 3195 FPS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is great to see Shawn put this outstanding wildcat into production I have shot this caliber for several years and it is terrific.The 250g Sierra rocks on game of Elk size.The
180's and 200's of Nosler will work good at 500+ yds. on white tail deer haven't tried them on anything else.The H1000 is super accurate in this caliber and the 7828 as well
with a touch more velocity in my rifle.

[ QUOTE ]
BigBore, I loaded some 200 grain Nosler BT @ 3522 fps out of the 26" tube. I shot a deer at 315 yards with it. The shot was broadside hit a rib on the way in and never exited the deer. Small bullet frags were against the skin on the far side but never penetrated. The inside and most of the front quarter was cranberry sauced. (lesson learned)..... believe that the Nosler 225 gr Accubond has some promise. Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we all agree at high vel, caliabre > .300, BT's are best left to punch paper and you should use Accubonds over BT's?

I would have to say that my experience with bt's at close range (under 300 yards) and at higher velocities have been poor. I have always hoped for an Accubond in the 275 gr. + range for .338. Basicly a scaled up version of the killer 200 gr 30 cal offering. But once again the majority of shooters (not LR guys) wanting the big velocity number. I tried some of the 225 gr accubonds but could not get them to shoot acceptably well in my rifle (they did go a little over 3400 fps out of the 30" tube). I know alot of people that are very happy with them. I hope to test some Wildcat 300 gr. ULD bullets on a bear in a few weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Will post.

I would love to see some case dimensions for the.338 EDGE. Does it have a 35deg shoulder? What is the overall length of the case, etc ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would love to tell you it was something really exciting but it is simply a 300 ultra necked out to .338". I was working on a round that was very simple to use and did not have to be fire formed before use. It was originally developed as a hard target interdiction rifle (HTIR). With that application in mind I needed a round that was easy to mass produce if needed.

Got some 300 rum brass from fedaral today looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Took the edge out for some testing loaded 100gr. of h-1000 with a sierra 250gr. gamekings bt. Got groups of .5" to .75" at 300 yds. with velocity of 3150 to 3175. will be shooting a mile (1760 yds.) in july will keep you posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Holy smokes! You got your brass over a month ago. Should be ready for a new barrel by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like you got a keeper, let us know how the mile shoot goes.

Shawn+MTM, I'm in the process of building a .338 Edge. I appreciate all the info you have given already. Just a couple more questions. First what do you think of the Federal brass compared to the Remington? Also what is your preffered method of fire forming these cases. What kind of powder how much,what kind of media (cornmeal,ect).
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shawn what is the water capacity of the 338 edge versus the 338 lapua? Also how does the 338 edge compare to the 338 tomahawk?

TIA D-A

The 338 EDGE holds about +3% on the Lapua case. I don't have specs on the Tomahawk. I load full power in a new case I don't fire form, That was one of my criteria when I went looking for a 338 blaster as it was originaly designed as a hard target interdiction round lighter than a "50". I wanted easy to produce ammo for military/le application. I use H1000, cci lr mag primers, 300 gr smk. The federal brass is a substantial improvement over the rem brass.

The 300 Tomahawk usually nets around 115.5 of water, that is exactly what the one I built holds. Can vary a small bit 115~116. I think the biggest benefit is the brass is chaper and no need to open a bolt face when necking down the Lapua case.
It's not to say that the Lapua case is worse than the 300 rum just that brass is a lot chaper. The Lapua brass of course cannot be matched for consistancy or quality when compared to Rem or Fed brass.
I suspect that the 338 Tomahawk will have the same net results if nothing other than the neck diameter has changed dimensions. The 338 Tomahawk parent case is the 300 rum case.
One other note of interest, these guns with huge case capacity while out beating there rivals in factory barrel lengths by a few hunder feet per second, they really exceed when longer barrels are used especially when going beyond 34 inches. This also allows the user to use extremely slow burning powder to acheive maximum velocities with less throat errosion.
In the 300 Tomahawk I built; we managed to launch the Berger 190 at 3600 fps behind 100 grains of H1000, and the Berger 210 at 3300 with same amount, when using the same amount of H50BMG we dropped to 3100 on the 210's and never bothered with the 190's as 3600 fps produced fantasic groups and long range accuracy. This rifle sports a 34 in Lilja 1:10 twist barrel accounting I'm sure for higher velocities.
As always work your loads up and do not attempt to laod at MY loadings in your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.