338 Edge vs 338 RUM differences

Will83

This may be a stupid question but what is the difference. I know the edge is a necked up 300 RUM, but isn't that what a 338 RUM is? And what is the difference in the edge and the edge +p?

The .338 RUM is a .300 RUM case with a slightly shortened OAL…..
The Edge is done on a full length .300 RUM case
So is it a slightly shorter case OAL or a cartridge OAL (just making it a 338 rum with a bullet seated further out with more freebore)? If it is a case OAL shortening, does the 338 edge hold more powder than the 338 RUM?

The 338 RUM is the Remington factory SAAMI spec 338 cartirdge built on a shortened 300 RUM case.
The 338 Edge is the 300 RUM necked up to 338 cal with no other changes. The Edges hold 6 to 8 grains more powder for about 100 FPS more velocity.

The 338 RUM is the Remington factory SAAMI spec 338 cartirdge built on a shortened 300 RUM case.
The 338 Edge is the 300 RUM necked up to 338 cal with no other changes. The Edges hold 6 to 8 grains more powder for about 100 FPS more velocity.
Yep! The .338 EDGE is what the .338 RUM should have been.

Yep! The .338 EDGE is what the .338 RUM should have been.
A Wyatt's 4'' box is a must or single feed.

This thread has lots of info;

The 338RUM has a shorter case from base to shoulder, both the 300 and 375 RUM are the same length to shoulder and overall length.
The difference from the standard chamber to the +P chamber is the throat length and neck diameter.
When I built mine, I ran the SAAMI chamber dimensions but with a tight turn only neck…. this was a bad idea.
I then had to buy another reamer from Shane Clancy with the +P throat, set back a turn and re-cut it. All my dilemma's went away after that.
It was a real shooter and would shoot into 1/4 MoA with most bullets, but it just didn't get the velocities I was expecting and sold it.
I also have a custom wildcat 338-416 Rigby Improved that does everything above 3100fps and gets 3200fps with HBN coated bullets. It was just as accurate as the Edge, but is in need of a new barrel now.

Cheers.

A Wyatt's 4'' box is a must or single feed.

This thread has lots of info;
I am fully aware of it; all I am saying is that Remington should have neck up the .300 RUM to .338 just as Shawn did with his .338 edge. The 4" Wyatt box or similar requirement is another story, just as the .338 LM needs more room to breathe.

That's not worth the trouble.
If you want a little more performance it is. It's like saying AI'ing or improving a case isn't worth it. Sometimes I may agree with that but this is actually simpler as it doesn't change the case dimensions only the neck size. You can even use .338 RUM dies, I did for about 10 years.
I've owned a .338 in the Edge or RUM flavor for the past 16 years. Apples to apples the Edge will give you a little bump in velocity, it holds just enough more powder to do so. That extra 100 fps potential pays dividends when you are really stretching it out there, at more moderate ranges the difference can be negligible. On the flip side if you have a fast barreled RUM it will keep pace with a average Edge as I've had one of both. But that's not apples-apples, more tomato-potatoe. 😂

If you want a little more performance it is. It's like saying AI'ing or improving a case isn't worth it. Sometimes I may agree with that but this is actually simpler as it doesn't change the case dimensions only the neck size. You can even use .338 RUM dies, I did for about 10 years.
I've owned a .338 in the Edge or RUM flavor for the past 16 years. Apples to apples the Edge will give you a little bump in velocity, it holds just enough more powder to do so. That extra 100 fps potential pays dividends when you are really stretching it out there, at more moderate ranges the difference can be negligible. On the flip side if you have a fast barreled RUM it will keep pace with a average Edge as I've had one of both. But that's not apples-apples, more tomato-potatoe. 😂
Well heck, even I could manage that! I'd have my poor man's 338 Lapua!

That's not worth the trouble.
What trouble? Sizing your readily available 300 RUM brass? 338 RUM brass is not something that is usually readily available at any hunting store. 338 rum with 300 grain A-Tip 2662 FPS. 338 Edge with 300 grain A-Tip 2891. 229 FPS faster. These numbers are using H1000 with ADG brass, win mag primers.