338 Edge on bull elk 1435

That's one hell of a shot! Congrats! So I'm guessing you kind of just guessed what to dial up in your scope? Considering the g7 only goes to 1400.

That's one hell of a shot! Congrats! So I'm guessing you kind of just guessed what to dial up in your scope? Considering the g7 only goes to 1400.

I feel a little closer than a guess. I ranged him from 1345 to 1435. My last out put was at 1399. I was going up right around 1.2 moa per 25 yards. So 1399 was 36.5 I added 1.2 and shot at 37.7 moa for 1435.

That's awesome!!

I think a lot more bullets do what that one did than we think, we tested a lot of bullets this year that were thick in the nose so they needed worked on to get them to open even at 2000 fps impacts but we found they would blow the nose of then tumble, it's a violent happening judging by the water jugs blowing up. I also think this is why we can see cal holes in and out but carnage in the middle, at any rate dead elk is dead elk :D

That's awesome!!

I think a lot more bullets do what that one did than we think, we tested a lot of bullets this year that were thick in the nose so they needed worked on to get them to open even at 2000 fps impacts but we found they would blow the nose of then tumble, it's a violent happening judging by the water jugs blowing up. I also think this is why we can see cal holes in and out but carnage in the middle, at any rate dead elk is dead elk :D

I agree completely. I think a lot of weird stuff happens. I would really like to see the elite hunters on game. I shot a mule doe, she was dead but blew through at 850 yards. pencil hole in and out.

Great shot and nice story. What is the twist on your barrel? I am getting very good expansion from my 338 otm's with a 9.3 twist and running almost the same velocity as yours.

Great shot and nice story. What is the twist on your barrel? I am getting very good expansion from my 338 otm's with a 9.3 twist and running almost the same velocity as yours.

Projectile RPM & throat condition could well have an impact on terminal performance results.

A friend has my original Edge, 1-9 twist, it has had a lot of rounds through it & is still shooting very well.

It's terminal performance with the OTM is way ahead of my 338 Terminator/Lapua improved with its 1-10 SG barrel, even though it has another 100+ fps on the Edge.

Another friend has a 338 with similar velocity to mine with a 10 twist & his terminal performance mirrors mine with the 338 OTM.

My barrel is a 1-10 twist. I also would not say any throat problems. I have 300-350 rounds through it.

Nice shot. You don't hit them with the first round at that range by accident. You may need another range finder if you step on out any further!

I've observed three bullet hits that failed to expand and failed to tumble over the years on harvested animals, but all three hits were at less that 325 yds, so perhaps the tumbling is more apt to occur at reduced impact velocities? Dunno...

Nice shot. You don't hit them with the first round at that range by accident. You may need another range finder if you step on out any further!

I've observed three bullet hits that failed to expand and failed to tumble over the years on harvested animals, but all three hits were at less that 325 yds, so perhaps the tumbling is more apt to occur at reduced impact velocities? Dunno...

Thank you. I am going to trade my rangefinder up soon. But will get the trimble nomad at the same time.

Great shot! And sounds like an awesome hunt. I would love to try an elk hunt like that someday.
With the bullet I'm wondering if since the tip broke off and left a fairly flat surface if it killed by blunt force trauma in a way similar to a hard cast wadcutter out of a handgun. It could explain caliber hole in and out with plenty of damage in the middle. Or is it actually tumbling? Just something I'm pondering.
Either way great job on the hunt!

Kyle

Great shot! And sounds like an awesome hunt. I would love to try an elk hunt like that someday.
With the bullet I'm wondering if since the tip broke off and left a fairly flat surface if it killed by blunt force trauma in a way similar to a hard cast wadcutter out of a handgun. It could explain caliber hole in and out with plenty of damage in the middle. Or is it actually tumbling? Just something I'm pondering.
Either way great job on the hunt!

Kyle

Thank you kyle, I am not sure if it was tumbling or not. I guess there is no way for me to know.

Great shooting and great story. I noticed you said you are going to upgrade your rangefinder soon. I am in the process of deciding what rf I'm going with. The g7 is very tempting and I'm having a hard time deciding between that and the terrapin. I already run a ballistic program and the terrapin isn't that much more $. The g7 worked great for you obviously but I still find myself favoring the terrapin simply because everyone says for ranging its flat out the best. So I was just curious why you felt the need to upgrade your rangefinder?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.