input on a 338 edge elr bench gun

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by ar10ar15man, Aug 23, 2018.

1. ar10ar15man

ar10ar15man Active Member

i build my own rifles.
    just got hooked on elr br and have selected 338 edge as my next project.
    i have brass coming and a couple of 300 gr bergers to build dummy rounds with.
    looking at alex's stock but all else is open.
    i like krieger and broughton bbls, but open to suggestions...length brake suggestion.
    actions ? would like dual port right eject.

i have read much of the 338 stuff here and am interested in long COAL.
    MAYBE 4 " ??
    SPEAK YOUR MIND..i'll listen( no change in cartridge...338 edge it is).
    thanks

Phoeniceltic likes this.
  2. ar10ar15man

i have read some brass is shoulder short. i was looking at a cheap bullet to fire form with and saw hornady's 250 rn. looks like it would allow bullet at the lands for a solid
    fire form first shot.
    comments ?

3. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Well-Known Member

Alex's stock?...
    Pics or a link?
    Thanks

4. ar10ar15man

5. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are looking for. Clearly single shot, so go longest OAL you can for sure. Mine is mag fed, but still near the top of a Wyatts extended box and required extensive modification of a Stiller long action and bolt stop.

For a hunting rifle I went with a Heathen brake. For a bench gun I'd look at the Fat Bastard.

Barrel wise, mine is a McGowan and I took third with it in a 2000yd competition and mine was the cheapest gun on the line. The rifle just flat shoots, 1/3 MOAish just as accurate as I can shoot a 20 Practical. No problem with the barrel manufacturers you list, I just went with where I could get a prefit and install myself with a nut.

6. ar10ar15man

probably a kelbly's golden bear in black.
    mag, dual port,
    bat m is a close second.

7. Rhovee

Rhovee Well-Known Member

Send Alex an email. He just built a 338 edge bench gun for a guy... Broughton barrels are awesome. I have one on my edge. ADG brass, Whidden dies, H1000 300 grain Berger. CCi 250. You'll be on your way....

ADG Brass likes this.
  8. ar10ar15man

alex BUILDS complete rifles, and i want to build my own.
    so looks like i will just buy parts where i can and go from there.
    i have chatted with alex all week.

9. Rhovee

Rhovee Well-Known Member

Have you built rifles before?

10. ar10ar15man

yes.....
    30br score gun,
    6mm dasher 600/1000yd benchrest (2015 NATIONAL CHAMP),
    300 win mag 600/1000 br rifle
    navy seal mk13 sniper rifle
    and other non-competition rifles

11. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

I had my own reamer ground and my OAL is around 4.1 with the 300 Berger Elite Hunter. It is a single feed affair.

Tod

12. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

I like a 30"+ no taper as big as the action will hold. Maker? Anyone building tubes right now can build a hummer. Find someone you like and call it good.
    Action choice? I've built 3 Savage Edges that would hold under .5MOA past 1k pretty consistently for 10 rounds. All of them also dipped under .25 at times so I believe action choice is pretty wide open.
    Stocks? 2 of my Savages ran Choates ( gasp) and 1 ran a homemade plywood laminate with about 12 pounds of lead fill. All of my stocks were stupid heavy. The Choates were also lead fill.
    Depending on lead fill I ran them from 24 to as high as 40 lbs. Some say that with a good brake that weight isn't needed but a 40lb 338 kicks less than a 20lb 338.
    Biggest nastiest brake possible.
    Best brass possible. I went to Lapua as I tired of chasing RP and Nosler butter brass. This was before Bertram and others. I took every extreme step in reloading I could to ensure ES was nil. I ran H1000 , Retumbo , H870 and RE25 and looked for ES more than accuracy. Most loads would go sub .5 at short range so it's really just a game of ES. Velocity held around 2850 with the 300 SMK
    Used 300 SMK exclusively as I bought 5k of them and found them to be plenty consistent at least in the lot I had. No pointing or other actions though I did weigh about 500 and decided it was a waste of time.
    These were also my main hunting rifles. I hunt static from a truck so why not. I also shot them at everything. I would shoot hundreds of rounds a day at water turtles or rocks. Probably ly why I liked em heavy.
    Kind of an unorthodox way to get it done especially running Savage actions but they all shot better than most humans can call the wind.

13. TXAoudadKlr

TXAoudadKlr Well-Known Member

A Broughton 5C could be the ticket, I’m a big fan of bartlein barrels as well.

Brake as mentioned the fat bastard or T3 or T4 Terminator bake

14. RandyinVa

RandyinVa Well-Known Member

McMillian Super Mag (.338 Rogue if you were open)