33 Nosler

ak49guy

Does anyone have any experience with 33 Nosler? I have a custom build, that I have worked a few loads up with. It shoots great. But I'm running outta N560. Which it shoots fantastic with Berger 250 OTM's. Want to drop down to 225's. I got H-1000, N560, IMR-7828ssc.

Are you going to shoot 225 mono's or conventional? Nosler has load data for 7828 in that weight bullet. https://www.nosler.com/33-nosler
I've been using rl 26 in mine with cutting edge Lazer 250 as well as 252 MTH. I'm waiting for a new die to seat the 225 cutting edge Lazer and will be starting with rl 23 but may run out of capacity to use it and have to go to a faster burn rate powder. I doubt you will have enough capacity for h1000 with that light of a bullet. 560 is great for speed but garbage for temp stability so I'd move away from that anyway. Might want to try and get some h4831. I'd suggest rl 23 but all the alliant powders have been very scarce and extremely expensive when they do surface.

Are you going to shoot 225 mono's or conventional? Nosler has load data for 7828 in that weight bullet. https://www.nosler.com/33-nosler
I've been using rl 26 in mine with cutting edge Lazer 250 as well as 252 MTH. I'm waiting for a new die to seat the 225 cutting edge Lazer and will be starting with rl 23 but may run out of capacity to use it and have to go to a faster burn rate powder. I doubt you will have enough capacity for h1000 with that light of a bullet. 560 is great for speed but garbage for temp stability so I'd move away from that anyway. Might want to try and get some h4831. I'd suggest rl 23 but all the alliant powders have been very scarce and extremely expensive when they do surface.
I was not in the know about the n560. It does shoot good in summer temps. So that's good to know. I do have roughly 8# of h4831. Dosnt seem like it will be fast enough. I have Barnes 225ttsx I was hoping to lie with something. I did forget to mention I have RL-19. Approx 10# of it. Just curious if anyone had some better results with it and some other powder/bullets. Run into a lot of tight loads.

The old rl series powders are not very good at all for temp stability. I really wish the old rl 22 was good for temp stability because it would be great in this case with a really wide range of bullet weights. I'd give the h 4831 a try with what you have on hand. If you need to to faster I'd look at Hybrid 100v or 6.5 staball. 100v is middle of the road for temp stability and I shoot it in a lot of cartridges.

You really don't need temp stable powders in Alaska. The range of Temps we get in hunting season is so small that you can use some of the most temp unstable powders out there and not see an appreciable difference.

I use a lot of rl17 and lever evolution. Neither are temp stable. I don't worry about the 10fps difference at hunting ranges.

The old rl series powders are not very good at all for temp stability. I really wish the old rl 22 was good for temp stability because it would be great in this case with a really wide range of bullet weights. I'd give the h 4831 a try with what you have on hand. If you need to to faster I'd look at Hybrid 100v or 6.5 staball. 100v is middle of the road for temp stability and I shoot it in a lot of cartridges.
Thanks man. I got this RL-19 in from a new stock about 2 months ago at a store here in town. I'm gonna try this and do some digging on the 100v. Which I also have about 6# of. Shoots amazing in my 300WSM. Thanks again!

Thanks man. I got this RL-19 in from a new stock about 2 months ago at a store here in town. I'm gonna try this and do some digging on the 100v. Which I also have about 6# of. Shoots amazing in my 300WSM. Thanks again!
Without looking it up I'd wager rl26 will give you best velocity of anything in a 33N. But you cannot find that stuff anymore.

If anyone has QL. That would be awesome. So I could c what 100v, h-4831ssc, magpro & n160 can do. That help a ton. I have all these powders and they r real rocky close on the burn chart, outside 100v of course.

Without looking it up I'd wager rl26 will give you best velocity of anything in a 33N. But you cannot find that stuff anymore.
Had my hands on a 8# keg two months ago. Was told I couldn't buy it because a local builder/comp shooter had special ordered it. I may or may not of almost had a melt down like a 4 yr old. 🤣… it untucked it up and cried at home where know one could see me.

Had my hands on a 8# keg two months ago. Was told I couldn't buy it because a local builder/comp shooter had special ordered it. I may or may not of almost had a melt down like a 4 yr old. 🤣… it untucked it up and cried at home where know one could see me.
Arctic ammo?

@ak49guy I was referring to old, original rl powders not old stock. Most of the old ones like 17(newest of the "old"), 19, 22, and 25 are around 1.2-1.7 fps/degree. Like you said if you aren't going out of a node from the temp difference and aren't doing real long shots it won't matter. In that case I think rl22 would give you much better speed than 19 will. 100v is pretty energetic and I like it over 6.5 staball. I'd like to know your results with any of the powders you try.

So I just rechambered my 338 Win Mag to 33 Nosler this year. I did work up a hunting load for Elk with reloader 19 and Hornady 230 grain eldx bullets. I got pretty good accuracy, but not great velocity, mid to high 2800's.
I tried the 270 gr eldx bullets but didn't get good accuracy with IMR 4350 or H4350.
I've just obtained some 250gr bulldozer bullets and I was thinking of trying to work up a load with H1000, but haven't had time yet.

So I just rechambered my 338 Win Mag to 33 Nosler this year. I did work up a hunting load for Elk with reloader 19 and Hornady 230 grain eldx bullets. I got pretty good accuracy, but not great velocity, mid to high 2800's.
I tried the 270 gr eldx bullets but didn't get good accuracy with IMR 4350 or H4350.
I've just obtained some 250gr bulldozer bullets and I was thinking of trying to work up a load with H1000, but haven't had time yet.
How much more velocity are you seeing with the 33 Nosler versus your 338 Win Mag? Thanks,