325 wsm thoughts

I've owned a Kimber 8400 in 325WSM since 2008. I used 200gr Accubonds and Partitions to take more animals than I can count. Bears in BC, Plains game in Namibia and Elk, coyotes and blacktails in OR. It is usually the first gun I'll grab when I open the safe. If remember right I used 66gr of IMR4350 to push the 200gr bullets to 2950fps with groups around 1". Paired the 325 with a VXIII and a B&C reticle It was good to 500 yards plus. It killed everything I pointed it at. Blacktails at 80yds, Kudu at 345yds or a springbok at 475yds. If you want flatter shooting jump to the 180s and 3100fps. A couple of years ago I worked up a load with the 220gr Sierra and RL17. That load gives me 1/2" groups at 2800fps and a load of kinetic energy. Knocked the last elk clean off his feet and DRT. It hits hard and it's recoil isn't noticed when hunting. The Kimber is one nice carry in the woods.

I've owned a Kimber 8400 in 325WSM since 2008. I used 200gr Accubonds and Partitions to take more animals than I can count. Bears in BC, Plains game in Namibia and Elk, coyotes and blacktails in OR. It is usually the first gun I'll grab when I open the safe. If remember right I used 66gr of IMR4350 to push the 200gr bullets to 2950fps with groups around 1". Paired the 325 with a VXIII and a B&C reticle It was good to 500 yards plus. It killed everything I pointed it at. Blacktails at 80yds, Kudu at 345yds or a springbok at 475yds. If you want flatter shooting jump to the 180s and 3100fps. A couple of years ago I worked up a load with the 220gr Sierra and RL17. That load gives me 1/2" groups at 2800fps and a load of kinetic energy. Knocked the last elk clean off his feet and DRT. It hits hard and it's recoil isn't noticed when hunting. The Kimber is one nice carry in the woods.
I was always apprehensive about the 220 GameKing in my .325, because Sierra states on their website it was meant for the 8mm RM. I had a good friend swore by that 220 in his big 8, 3040 fps.

I honestly feel like the 180 isn't a very good choice, the BC is terrible. I just always felt like the 200's were perfect in the .325. I will say, the 180 Nosler BT, on Whitetail, would put them down so fast you would have thought God hit the off switch.

I was always apprehensive about the 220 GameKing in my .325, because Sierra states on their website it was meant for the 8mm RM. I had a good friend swore by that 220 in his big 8, 3040 fps.

I honestly feel like the 180 isn't a very good choice, the BC is terrible. I just always felt like the 200's were perfect in the .325. I will say, the 180 Nosler BT, on Whitetail, would put them down so fast you would have thought God hit the off switch.

I agree about the 180. I would only use it on midsize game. The 220 on the other hand has a great BC and carries to range really well.

I agree about the 180. I would only use it on midsize game. The 220 on the other hand has a great BC and carries to range really well.
My worries with the 220 was it wouldn't expand with the velocity loss of the 325. If they expand as they should, I see no reason not to use the 220. That makes the .325 WSM a heavy hitter.

I looked long and hard at the 325. Even bought a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM that got misplaced in the mail and never surfaced! Never received it. When I came back around to wanting to build a lightweight Elk type rifle I looked at it and the 338 RCM very hard. Went with a 338 SST instead mainly sue to bullet selection.

I have a Winchester M70 "Ultimate Shadow" chambered in 325 WSM.
I really like this rifle for it's accuracy and "Thump" [I also have an 8mm
Rem Mag] The 325 is quite a bit easier to handle at the bench, due to
more tolerable recoil. My rifle shoots everything I have tried in it well, weights
from 185 grain to 220 grain. Really likes the older Norma Dual Core, plastic
tipped bullet, but, unfortunately, this bullet is a bit fragile close in.
I have shot a big black bear [200 Accubond], 2 Whitetail deer [196 Norma D-C]
One Elk [200 Partition] All DRT except the Elk which took 3 steps and fell on
his nose. I make all my brass by necking up 300 WSM, 1-F Nosler brass I get from
a friend. My favorite load for the bullets that weigh 195-200 grains is 70/71 grains
of Norma MRP. around 2975 fps, depending on bullet. I use VV N560 with the 185's,
WXR with the 220 grainers. Most groups are ¾ moa or less right out to 400M.
This is one rifle I plan to keep indefinitely. Dave.

The 338 wsm is awesome! I just built one on a Tikka for a friend, off of the 7 wsm case. It's pushing 265 accubond lr's at 2900 fps. Just under 5000 foot pounds at the muzzle! All out of an 8.8 pound gun.
A3A14481-0B0F-4E4D-A5B7-8455327FDC99.jpeg

The 338 wsm is awesome! I just built one on a Tikka for a friend, off of the 7 wsm case. It's pushing 265 accubond lr's at 2900 fps. Just under 5000 foot pounds at the muzzle! All out of an 8.8 pound gun.View attachment 159836
That is awesome!!!!

But why the 7 WSM case and not the .325 ? Also, is it a 28"-30" barrel ? I pushed my 24" .338 Win Mag to the ragged edge to get 2800 fps from a 250 grain bullet.

That is one bad arse looking rig!!

As usual, this is my humbly submitted two cents worth and you should probably get some change back.
My brother wanted to upgrade from his Remy 700 in 30-06. After much research and nashing of teeth, he bought a Kimber 84 in 325 WSM.
Now the excitement begins. What excitement you might ask? We can't get the thing to shoot. Nothing will group under 3" at a hundred. NOTHING! Accubonds, Sirocco, Barnes, Hornady and finally, my all time go to bullet, Sierra. Change powders, brass primers. Set the COAL at any and every length possible. Oh by the way did I mention that the cartridge didn't feed from the magazine? Not any configuration and that all the loads showed high pressure? ALL the loads.
After beating our heads against the wall for over two months trying to get this thing to shoot, we end up with a load using a 180 grain Barnes bullet that we finally got to shoot under two and half inches at a velocity of 2600 fps. Not what he wanted but it was time to go hunting. He did kill with that gun that year, cow elk at about 85 yards. Not much to talk about.
Got back from hunting and he boxed it back and sent it back to Kimber. On his nickel. Kimber sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with the gun but they did polish the feed ramp, chamber and "adjusted" the magazine angle.
Long story short, not the cartridges' fault, the gun only shoots a two inch group at hundred with a 180 Barnes bullet at about 2750 fps. Not much better than his "old"
30-06.
At this time he is using a stick and string so it is not much of a loss.
Once again, your mileage may vary.

I would not blame the rifle I would blame Kimber for not taking care of the problem. I once bought a Ruger 77 stainless in 300 WinMag for a caribou hunt in Canada. The best the rifle would do was 2 1/2 inches at "50" yards. I called Ruger and spoke with a tech who stated that nothing could be done with the rifle because it met factory specs. I told the tech that 2 1/2 inches for a .300WinMag was ridiculous and I drove the rifle to the factory, demanded that something be done with the rifle. A couple of weeks later I picked the rifle up, it shot MOA. I really do not like to read posts where a reputable company does not stand behind their product/s.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.