.325 WSM?

Don't overlook the 220 GameKing. It was designed for the 8mm Rem Mag, and is too much bullet for 8x57 speeds.

20191111_224105.jpg

Yeah...very useful caliber..I keep saying...I know it is a dead cartridge, but the little 338 RCM continues to Amaze me with 215-250 grain bullets, and a 18-20 in barrel...325 is along the same lines...
The .338 RCM has intrigued me ever since I got my .338 Win Mag. Heck, if you are shooting 300 yards and less, the .338 Federal is a neat little thumper, along with the .338 MX.

What do you get with the RCM and 225 boolits.

What do you get with the RCM and 225 boolits.

Both of my RCMs are non short actions...one is on a standard ruger action..the other is on a tikka both have short barrels..one 20 in and one 19 inches.

I shoot a lot of the 215 gamekings and I am getting 2920 out of one load 2880 out of another.

225 I'm hovering around 2700 fps..a little slower withe long CEB laser bullets. I even push around 2530 with 250 berger elite hunters...I had a 33 Nosler I'd get 2850 and I was burning a lot more powder and had 6 more inches of barrel...great little round...

My wife also has a 338 federal...you are right great thumper. I have a 358 in a BLR too...love mediums....they work!

I have a couple of Kimber Montana 325's. I have only shot them a few times at the range. I used factory loaded DoubleTap 200 grain Barnes TSX. I need to hand load the 200 TSX and chronograph the loads.
I have carried one of the rifles a few times, no animals cooperated though. I think the Kimber 325 is a powerful easy carrying combination.

Any one with one? What's your velocity with 200 & 220 bullets?

Actually the .325 WSM is an overlooked cartridge that has a mic ton too offer in the big game field. Sitting between the 8mm Mauser and the 8mm Rem Mag, [good company] and using a 220 gr bullet at 2,840 fps gives you 3,941 fpe not bad for the size case one is working with.

I've got a 338-300wsm (24" Pac-Nor ultralight contour barrel) that's been a very effective elk cartridge in a very compact and lightweight rifle.
Shoots the following loads very well:
Barnes 210gr TTSX @ ~2850 FPS
Nosler 225gr Accubond @ ~2765 FPS
Nosler 250gr Accubond @ ~2630 FPS

the 250gr just had too much recoil in a lightweight package.

The 210 TTSX shoots 1/2 moa and is my go-to bullet in that gun. Killed a 350 class bull with a single shot with this setup.

I would expect a 325 and 338 wsm to shoot and perform nearly identical in the field.

I've got a 338-300wsm (24" Pac-Nor ultralight contour barrel) that's been a very effective elk cartridge in a very compact and lightweight rifle.
Shoots the following loads very well:
Barnes 210gr TTSX @ ~2850 FPS
Nosler 225gr Accubond @ ~2765 FPS
Nosler 250gr Accubond @ ~2630 FPS

the 250gr just had too much recoil in a lightweight package.

The 210 TTSX shoots 1/2 moa and is my go-to bullet in that gun. Killed a 350 class bull with a single shot with this setup.

I would expect a 325 and 338 wsm to shoot and perform nearly identical in the field.
I just discovered my .300 Win Mag shoots 1/2 moa with a 180 TTSX. These new fangled mono slugs might just catch on after all lol

In all seriousness though, I enjoyed my .325, but I'd rather have the .33 for bullet selection. I'm going to assume the .338 RCM is slower than yours. .550 body vs .532.

I just discovered my .300 Win Mag shoots 1/2 moa with a 180 TTSX. These new fangled mono slugs might just catch on after all lol

In all seriousness though, I enjoyed my .325, but I'd rather have the .33 for bullet selection. I'm going to assume the .338 RCM is slower than yours. .550 body vs .532.

Barnes TTSX and LRX shoot extremely well in all of my rifles.

I would also agree that the RCM might lose a little velocity to the WSM, but an elk would never notice, and out to its effective range I doubt the shooter would notice any difference either.

Barnes TTSX and LRX shoot extremely well in all of my rifles.

I would also agree that the RCM might lose a little velocity to the WSM, but an elk would never notice, and out to its effective range I doubt the shooter would notice any difference either.
But are either, worth me turning my back on the .338 Win Mag ? The Elk you speak of, again, wouldn't notice.

But are either, worth me turning my back on the .338 Win Mag ? The Elk you speak of, again, wouldn't notice.

from a practicality standpoint, no. Biggest advantage is that you can fit a RCM/WSM into a short action, and they're just kinda cool. But if you're gonna go win mag, why not jump up to the 33 Nosler?!!!

from a practicality standpoint, no. Biggest advantage is that you can fit a RCM/WSM into a short action, and they're just kinda cool. But if you're gonna go win mag, why not jump up to the 33 Nosler?!!!
The 33 doesn't gain you that much, I am pushing a 225ttsx right at 2850 from a 26" barrel. And thats a max load. The 265lrx is at 2700, the 285eld at 2680. Maybe I have a slow barrel, but its not a huge gain. I would gain more if I had an action where I could get out to a 3.8" oal, but at 3.4" the gain is pretty small.

The 33 doesn't gain you that much, I am pushing a 225ttsx right at 2850 from a 26" barrel. And thats a max load. The 265lrx is at 2700, the 285eld at 2680. Maybe I have a slow barrel, but its not a huge gain. I would gain more if I had an action where I could get out to a 3.8" oal, but at 3.4" the gain is pretty small.

Longbomber is right...33 Nosler is like a 338 win +P.. i got a good 100-150 fps and I had a long action with a 3.65 box. I seated to 3.55..if you are limited to 3.4..a 33 is almost a draw with a win mag..if you want more do a RUM or a Norma..a RCM is not even the same sport as Win mag, Nosler--and darn sure no RUM, Norma or Lapua. But I will say you get a lot out of it--and it does seem to do well with a short barrel--and out to 400 no game animal will know the difference...it also--at least in my rifles is very Pleasant to shoot...

I agree with liking the .33 caliber bullet better than the .32. The .338 RCM is awesome!

When I bought mine I bought the stainless Ruger M77 Hawkeye with a 22" barrel. They still sell that awesome guide gun too!

I bought into everyone saying it wouldn't be around in 10 years back in 2008, and have since bought 17 boxes of the .225 sst Hornady SuperP, and they still sell it. This is one of my hunting rifles and I shoot it about 7 times a year. I am pushing 50 I will die with all this ammo haha!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.