325 wsm thoughts

Sykes

Ive always been somewhat interested in the 325 wsm. I would like your opinion on this cartridge if you've had or still have one, even better if you have the experience with it in a Kimber rifle. I'm aware brass is somewhat hard to find and recoil in a Kimber will be unfriendly. I'm curious on accuracy potential, preferred bullet weight and powder selection. I'm looking at a used classic for pretty cheap and highly considering the 181 hammer hunter bullet. Mainly a rifle to have just in case a moose hunt presents itself although I hunt elk every year in Colorado so it may get some use.

I appreciate your input

mine killed everything I ever shot with it. Any shortcomings were due to the sporter weight m70 rifle rather than the cartridge. I used 180-200 gr bullets; if brass is hard to find, neck up 270 or 300 wsm. RL19 is a good powder.

Ive always been somewhat interested in the 325 wsm. I would like your opinion on this cartridge if you've had or still have one, even better if you have the experience with it in a Kimber rifle. I'm aware brass is somewhat hard to find and recoil in a Kimber will be unfriendly. I'm curious on accuracy potential, preferred bullet weight and powder selection. I'm looking at a used classic for pretty cheap and highly considering the 181 hammer hunter bullet. Mainly a rifle to have just in case a moose hunt presents itself although I hunt elk every year in Colorado so it may get some use.

I appreciate your input
I had a Savage 14 American Classic in .325, and loved it. It was more accurate than I was. Power wise, it gives you close to .338 Win Mag power, without getting too far from .300 Win Mag trajectory. Load the 200gr Accubonds or the 200gr TSX, to around 2900-2950, and call it a day if the accuracy is there. It's a phenomenal round, that doesn't get the respect it deserves. People have took down Brown Bears with them, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a bang-flop result.

I hope I was some help, and good luck!

Last edited:
I can only give you thoughts. I like the cartridge and have a Kimber Montana in 325. Though, I have not killed anything with it.
I have only shot the rifle with DoubleTap factory 200 grain TSX loads. It has been awhile since I have fired the rifle. I didn't consider the recoil abusive from the bench. It does have some muzzle rise. The factory ammo grouped a bit under 1" with 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The 200 grain TSX would be the bullet of my choice.
I have recently switched scopes on the rifle, and hope to sight in within a week.
I have carried the rifle while hunting but no moose or bears obliged to show themselves. I usually hunt with 375's and 416's, the Kimber Montana is a pleasure to carry.
I also have some Swift A-Frame 220 grain bullets that I need to load for it.
I am not a long range hunter. My view is that it would be an excellent lightweight rifle for moose and elk. Were I an elk hunter, it is likely this would be the rifle and cartridge combination that I would use.
I have no plans of getting rid of mine.

I appreciate your input

I can only give you thoughts. I like the cartridge and have a Kimber Montana in 325. Though, I have not killed anything with it.
I have only shot the rifle with DoubleTap factory 200 grain TSX loads. It has been awhile since I have fired the rifle. I didn't consider the recoil abusive from the bench. It does have some muzzle rise. The factory ammo grouped a bit under 1" with 3 shot groups at 100 yds. The 200 grain TSX would be the bullet of my choice.
I have recently switched scopes on the rifle, and hope to sight in within a week.
I have carried the rifle while hunting but no moose or bears obliged to show themselves. I usually hunt with 375's and 416's, the Kimber Montana is a pleasure to carry.
I also have some Swift A-Frame 220 grain bullets that I need to load for it.
I am not a long range hunter. My view is that it would be an excellent lightweight rifle for moose and elk. Were I an elk hunter, it is likely this would be the rifle and cartridge combination that I would use.
I have no plans of getting rid of mine.
I know the 220 GameKing was designed for 3000+ fps from the 8mm Rem Mag. However, I'm not sure about the A-Frame. It may have been made for the 8x57, which you should have it made. Just keep it in mind, to adjust for distance/impact velocity (or lack thereof).

I shot a few deer and blackbear with mine, mostly the 200gr accubond and one of each with the 160ttsx. The 200 was pretty effective on everything I shot with it. Plenty of power, and my rifle is light and short. Easy to pack in the thick brush.

I shot a few deer and blackbear with mine, mostly the 200gr accubond and one of each with the 160ttsx. The 200 was pretty effective on everything I shot with it. Plenty of power, and my rifle is light and short. Easy to pack in the thick brush.
I've always thought the .325 was the best, and most useful of the WSM family. Just hardly no one gave it a chance to prove it's true worth!

I've always thought the .325 was the best, and most useful of the WSM family. Just hardly no one gave it a chance to prove it's true worth!

The 323 diameter was/is the main problem with the 325 WSM bullet availability when the 338s are plentiful. It is a good cartridge and has nearly the potential of the 338 Win Mag only in a short action cartridge. The popular wild cat that has given it a run for its money is the 300/338 WSM and also the 338 RCM.

The 8 mm Remington has always been the best Elk cartridge but the .323 diameter bullets all but killed it. The 338 Rcm has impressed me with 225 and 250 grain bullets.
The 200 grain bullets are very flat and powerful at 2900 ft/sec and recoil is manageable.

J E CUSTOM

The 323 diameter was/is the main problem with the 325 WSM bullet availability when the 338s are plentiful. It is a good cartridge and has nearly the potential of the 338 Win Mag only in a short action cartridge. The popular wild cat that has given it a run for its money is the 300/338 WSM and also the 338 RCM.

The 8 mm Remington has always been the best Elk cartridge but the .323 diameter bullets all but killed it. The 338 Rcm has impressed me with 225 and 250 grain bullets.
The 200 grain bullets are very flat and powerful at 2900 ft/sec and recoil is manageable.

J E CUSTOM

That 8mm thing has always been a death sentence. I have a couple 30's and a 325, there is a noticable difference on game at shorter ranges.

Win could have done a 338 but with a wsm case and a standard rem sa mag length the 338 does suffer. Been there, it just lost too much speed. If I was going to do another one it would be on a 3.4" action so I could seat bullets out where they should be. Its too bad that winchester didnt shorten up the case roughly .2" and do a 338, that would have fit well in the m70.

J E CUSTOM
I never got a chance to try a .338 RCM, but I wanted to. Now, at some point I hope I get to neck a .300 PRC up to .338".

I appreciate your input
I think you should buy it. And if you don't like it in a few years I'll drive over the hill and buy it from you.

Had a good buddy who has passed on who hunted a lot with a .325 WSM in an Abolt Hunter rifle. He killed a bunch of game with it, I personally saw a couple elk, mule deer, and a wolf fall to it. It was his choice of rifle when he filled his mountain goat tag with a large body billy with 8" horns. He shot Winchester ammo with the 200 gn AB out of it, I'd love to see that rifle in action again with one of his nephews.

As usual, this is my humbly submitted two cents worth and you should probably get some change back.
My brother wanted to upgrade from his Remy 700 in 30-06. After much research and nashing of teeth, he bought a Kimber 84 in 325 WSM.
Now the excitement begins. What excitement you might ask? We can't get the thing to shoot. Nothing will group under 3" at a hundred. NOTHING! Accubonds, Sirocco, Barnes, Hornady and finally, my all time go to bullet, Sierra. Change powders, brass primers. Set the COAL at any and every length possible. Oh by the way did I mention that the cartridge didn't feed from the magazine? Not any configuration and that all the loads showed high pressure? ALL the loads.
After beating our heads against the wall for over two months trying to get this thing to shoot, we end up with a load using a 180 grain Barnes bullet that we finally got to shoot under two and half inches at a velocity of 2600 fps. Not what he wanted but it was time to go hunting. He did kill with that gun that year, cow elk at about 85 yards. Not much to talk about.
Got back from hunting and he boxed it back and sent it back to Kimber. On his nickel. Kimber sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with the gun but they did polish the feed ramp, chamber and "adjusted" the magazine angle.
Long story short, not the cartridges' fault, the gun only shoots a two inch group at hundred with a 180 Barnes bullet at about 2750 fps. Not much better than his "old"
30-06.
At this time he is using a stick and string so it is not much of a loss.
Once again, your mileage may vary.

I have one in an A-Bolt. By far my favorite rifle. Mine shoots just under an inch with factory 220 grain Super X. Maybe I got lucky, but it shoots. I have literally dropped elk and northern whitetail in their tracks. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Recoil on the bench isn't fun, but I don't notice it when hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.