325 wsm loads

jessegibson1978

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 325 wsm. Recently acquired one would like any help that can be offered as far as loads. Also the on game performance of this round out to about 500 yards or so. Thanks for any help.

My go to load is the 220gr Sierra over a max charge of H4350. It's sub-moa accurate out to 500 yards. I've shot about a dozen or so deer with it and it has performed flawlessly. Minimal meat damage as well. I've also taken a couple elk and moose and some thing. Closest deer was at about 10 yards and the elk and moose were between 200 and 300 yards.

Is that the pro hunter or gameking. So far I have got it around 1 moa with 180 gr nosler bt. Apparently the person who had it before me did believe in cleaning a rifle.sort 3 hrs cleaning the bore, tuned the trigger and that helped a bit but still not where I would like it to be. Should I go to the heavier bullet as I only hunt whitetail in East Tennessee most shots around 100 yards but a few places I can't stretch its legs a bit.

It's really your choice. The Ballistic Tip, up close may do a little more damage to meat. The 220gr Gameking was designed for 8MM Rem Mag velocities so at the slower 325WSM velocities is pretty robust. I shot a nice Alberta whitetail at 10 yards right through the front shoulder on a 1/4'ng towards shot. There wasn't a heck of a lot of meat damage and the bullet smashed through the shoulder blade and destroyed the vitals before passing out through the far ribs.

220 Sierra Gamekings with 62.0 grains of H4350 powder gave me the best results. I hit an elk twice at about 400 yards and it started the slow death spiral until somebody else decieded to shoot at it.

For deer I'd use the Hornady 195 grain bullets, again with H4350.

h 4350 62.5, FED 215, 200 nab, My son and I both took bulls at over 500, big muleys, and its taken a speed goat too.

I have developed a few loads for mine, all with CCI 250 primer.
200gr partition 66gr IMR4831
180tsx 71gr RL19
180 Nos BT 71.5gr RL19
200 Accubond 65gr IMR4831
220 gameking 64gr RL19

I use the 200 accubond for everything, it seems to be about the best all around bullet. I have shot a blackbear and 5 whitetails, all under 75 yards nothing that really tested bullets, but the bear was shot at 14 feet. The round was a 180tsx which went from the left shoulder through to the skin on the right ham, only hitting the shoulder plate an a rib for bone. The deer were all shot with either the 180BT or 200 AB, pretty much bang flops but all were shot up close.

The 325 seems to be a pretty effective caliber. The 180 BT is quite a bit tougher than the smaller caliber BT, the copper jacket is tapered and fairly thick from mid bullet back. I am going to give the 160gr TTSX a go next. It looks like it should be pretty good out to about 300 yards.

The 150hr Hornady shoots very well in my 325WSM. I use it as my practice round. Never thought much of using a 325WSM as a varmint gun, put it does push them pretty fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.