.308 win loads

Zundel257

Anyone have a good .308 load using 168 grain berger BTHP's? Maybe using Hodgdon podwer of VV? Looking for the best load for accuracy anyone has had success with. Thanks

You can't really go wrong with Varget powder and you need to go to the top of the page and read the sticky about getting best accuracy out of Berger bullets.

I4064 and varget are two good ones. best long range load i have seen is in the nosler manual: 48.5 var( max) and a 155 .

I have had some success with 46 grains of varget, but I am thinking that a little more may help. According to the hodgdon website 46 is the max, but since it is a custom rifle with a kreiger match barrel do you all think i can maybe go either .5 or 1 grain more?

No two rifles are the same. My match chamber tight neck 308 maxes out at 44 grs Varget with 168's but I am getting the velocities that most get with 46 grs. so go slow and watch for pressure signs.

I put them .005-.007" in the lands and use 46.7grns Imr4064 but Varget is just as good, maybe a little better but where I'm at its harder to find without ordering. Another good load is a 155grn Lapua .005" in the lands with 46grns of H4895. These are warm loads start about 1.5grns lower.

I currently use RL 15/45g and 165 SST's with 0.75 MOA@100yds. Thats with an inexpensive Marlin 308. Can't complain.

I plan on trying some varget as it seems to be very popular powder.

I have had some success with 46 grains of varget, but I am thinking that a little more may help. According to the hodgdon website 46 is the max, but since it is a custom rifle with a kreiger match barrel do you all think i can maybe go either .5 or 1 grain more?

ZUNDEL- you do not say what action or scope. if you have a krieger barrel it should be shooting very very small groups. mine do. there are several articles on loading the 308 on riflemansjournal. enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.