loads for .308 WIN

sdhunterman

Hello everybody,
I am just curious if any of you have any experience using the 178 grain A-max in a .308 win? The rifle I have has a 1:10 twist so I think it should work. Although I have searched, I have not been successful on finding a powder to use and where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help
Mark

My personaly pet load for the 308 and 175gr Sierra Match King is 47grs of Varget a Federal 210M primer stuffed in a fire formed Lapua case , this is a compressed load and above lost max load so start at 44grs and work your way up in .5gr incraments. Varget burns realy clean isin't very temp sensitive and meters very well through every powder measure I have used.
I have also had good luck with BL-C(2) powder , it gives a little more velocity but doesen't burn as clean or as consistant for my liking.
I know several guys that swear that IMR-4064 is the only choice for the 308 but I wasen't to impressed with it in my trials , it was accurate and pretty fast but the varget edged it out in my gun.

The 178gr A-max is a good bullet especialy if your trying to stretch your 308 out to 1000yds , if your shooting under say 600 yds the 155gr A-max is another good bullet to look at.

Like I mentioned the favorite load for my gun is above listed max , this gun has a 26" 1-12 twist Rock Creek barrel and was chambered with a reamer desgined for the 175 SMK and its a tight chamber so I can get away with a little over loaded case.

ok... so this may sound dumb but could a guy use IMR 4350? I already have some of that and may be able to get a sufficient load out of that? or would it be best to use the varget? a newbie so the answers are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mark

You can use 4350 and it will give decient results , your not going to get nearly the velocity out of it that you would with the slightly faster powder like R-15 , Varget and such. I use the 4350 when I shoot the realy heavy bullet out of my 308 like the 210 berger and 220 SMK.
Its not goning to hurt to try it but don't be supprised if you end reslut is a little less desirable than expected , but who knows your gun might like it.

Although I only shoot 168SMK, I have tried 4064,4895, and 4350. My two bench shooting range is 50 yds from my door.(My wife refuses to let me shoot from the porch), anyway I shoot a lot and I shoot a lot of 308. I only shoot one powder now VARGET. for the 168 I use 45gr. Very stable powder. Easy to meter and excellent accuracy. I even use it for my 06 and 243. Use what powder you have, but when it runs out do yourself a favor and try a pound of Hodgen's Varget. Most powders work but some work better than others.

ok another question. what is the best way to determine overall length? im just trying to find the best way to measure this. i know there are guages out there but what, if any, are the best ones?

Stoney Point makes an OAL gauge. I think you can get one thru Sinclair as well and I would not be surprised if Brownells carries one as well. Or, you can determine the OAL of each of your rifles yourself without a gauge.

Just noticed that bustayote asked the same question on his thread titled another newbie. Go there for a read on OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.